winter in South Africa

Cape Town, South Africa

winter in South Africa Cape Town Reviews

fauxpaul fauxpaul
Jul 03, 2007
Our winter down here is often the best time to visit the parks. I was just in Johannesburg this weekend and the weather was typical of the entire season: strong sun, clear blue skies, chilly nights and mornings but daytime temperatures are warm. Cape Town will get its rain, but also a lot of sunny days (the past 5 have been clear and warm).

For the parks, this is an ideal time in many ways. Kruger, Pilanesburg, and the northeastern areas are pleasant and warm, while the cool morning temps mean that you'll see hippos out of the water instead of escaping the heat underneath it. The Natal coast is also a lot drier than in summer, when it receives most of its rain. So while parks like Hluhluwe-Umfolozi get fewer rainy days, they are less green.

This is considered SA's high season for game parks, so make sure to check availability in the parks if you intend to stay in them overnight. There are always accommodation options outside the parks, but you'll miss out on the night drives unless you can find an organization that has permission to enter after hours (this exists in some parks but not others). Check out: http://www.sanparks.org/ or write to an agent - they won't cost you any extra since they get their commissions from the parks system itself. One example is www.go2africa.com, althgouh they lean towards nicer accommodation and not budget.

Good luck!
Spronk says:
Thanks for the useful tips! :)
Posted on: Oct 23, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About winter in South Africa

Traveling to South Africa
Today a day to leave the summer in the Netherlands and find the winter in South Africa, Cape Town. I had some contact with Faure, a local in Cape Town (Tb-name V10) and he agreed to pick me up at the…winter in South Africa, Cape Town. I had some contact with Faure, a local in Cape Town (Tb-name V10) and he agreed…
Travel blog so far
January 03 2007     Oliver. You’re late! Carl barked at me. We had scheduled a meeting to run through the current situation on the recruitment sales pipeline.  I checked my watch…cape town to being surrounded by crazy thai people.   The journey was a pain in the ass, I left Sarah’s at 6am South African time, and arrived…
First stop: Cape Town
My step father is from South Africa so it makes it easy to go back again and again because I have free places to stay in almost every city in SA and Swaziland! I took off the last week of u…South Africa for my month long winter break. After a LONG flight from Denver --> Atlanta --> Cape Verde --> Cape Town

Check Cape Town Hotel Deals