AsiaJapanTokyoTokyo Tips

when traveling to Japan - Sumo

when traveling to Japan Tokyo Reviews

soifa soifa
when traveling to Japan Apr 24, 2011
When traveling to Japan, you'd better know some basic Japanese,cause Japanese are not so good at English.

It's much cheaper to use subway and buses than taxies, you can get "subway one day pass" from the airport.

No need to bargain when you shop in Japan.

Usually there is no trash bins on the streets, better to take a trash bag with you.
Kate Kate
Feb 14, 2007
Traveling in Japan can be a great experience. I have had many family members and friends come and visit me over this past year I have come up with some valuable advice I would like to share with all you visitors coming to Japan in order of importance:

1. Bring lots of cash. What ever you think you need double it and bring it in cash. Most places in Japan do not accept credit cards and this usually becomes a problem for my visitors half way through the trip. I know you might feel uncomfortable having large bills in your wallet ( as I first did when I came here) but Japan is such a safe country theft is not a problem. Bring CASH!!

2. If you are staying over 5 days buy a JR railpass. You can buy them at most travel agencies and it will save you a ton of money! Taking the train everywhere quickly adds up and especially if you plan on seeing more than one city you NEED to get a JR railpass. For example, a JR pass is around $200 for a week of unlimited travel anywhere in Japan. If I were to buy a train ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto this would cost around $150 each way. So if you plan to go anywhere in Japan I suggest you get a railpass. How do you get a railpass? You can only buy it in your home country you cannot buy it in Japan so you need to order it 4-6 weeks before you plan on coming so go to your nearest travel agency and pick one up it will save you a fortune ( which is important since Japan is soooo expensive)

3. For packing I suggest packing travel sizes of western medicine that you might need just in case ( Japanese medicine is alot less potent then western medicine I have come to find), always bring an umbrella, women should not pack any clothing that reveal their shoulders (yes even in summer), and finally a good pair of walking shoes since regardless of where you are staying in Japan I promise you will be doing alot of walking.

I hope this helps email me if you have any questions!
Himeji Castle
Ueno Park in Tokyo
katzylicious says:
hey kate! thanks for the advise. i'm just wondering though is the JR pass the one you use for the subways too? and what about the tops?
Posted on: Jun 10, 2012
loloa312 says:
Thanks! good advice..I am heading to Japan over New Years!!!
Posted on: Sep 17, 2008
rgriffs says:
Cheers for the advice!
Posted on: Aug 20, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About when traveling to Japan

Travel Day: Tokyo, Japan to Austin, Texas
My last day in Japan.  The hostel check out was at 10am and my flight was late in the afternoon.  So I walked to the temple in Asakusa that i had been seeing in the distance for 2 weeks.&nb… My last day in Japan.  The hostel check out was at 10am and my flight was late in the…
My Travel History & Albums
Sydney Album 1 Album 2 Album 3 Album 4 Album 5 Album 6 2008 October 06~13   Europe Album 2008 August 10~September 12   Macau Album 2008 June 29~30 Travel …Travel with: Yvonne. Tokyo, Japan Album 2006 June 22~29 Travel with: Solo (22~25), Yvonne (26~29). Lome, Togo…
Travel from HK to Tokyo
We had a super early start to catch the A21 back from Kowloon to the airport. We'd totally recommend the bus over the Airport Express train in both price and speed (HKD$33 vs HKD$100 and 35…Japan is that the street names are obviously unreadable to those who can't understand Japanese characters. That's us by the way. So maps only have the lines…

Check Tokyo Hotel Deals