travelling the southern part of Mexico

Southern Mexico, Mexico

travelling the southern part of Mexico Southern Mexico Reviews

SmilingNorwegian SmilingN…
Dec 03, 2006
Hi:)

Would just like to tell about my backpackingtrip through the southern part of Mexico. I absolutely recommend doing a trip like this, though it would been even better if my friend and I knew any Spanish- but we learned some as we went along.

Landing in Mexico City, the only thing we knew of our trip was that we had to be in Cancun for our return flight3,5 weeks later. It is expencive to use domestic flights, so we decided on going by bus. Weused our Lonley Planets as our bibels.

Mexico City is huge but nice. The people are friendly, but not that used to tourists. Shopping is good, and there are quite nice arcitecture. On our days there we walked around, looking. Relaxing and nice. Zona Roza is a good area to stay in, and Las Dos Friedas Hostel was nice and clean, with a polite staff.

We made a day trip up to Teotihuacan to see the Sun- and the Moon pyramids. Getting into the area was pricy, but worth every cent.The sight is a must if you are in the area!!

Going on, we took a bus from Mexico City to Acapulco. We chose to stay in the Mexican part of the city, and ended up staying in an inexpensive hotel with only Mexicans... They saw us as a tourist attraction, taking pictures of us even if we said no- but it had it's charm. Party is good in Acapulco, but I felt that the city was too touristy, so we didn't stay long.

We jumped on a bus going east, and ended up in Puerto Escondido. GREAT place. just a few tourists, 10000 inhabitants and a local surf championship. We found a small hostel, well we actually livedon the secound floor of a family house. Good and clean.The beach was great and the service was great. The kitchen was inspired my Italy and therewere quite a few hippies walking around as if the place had stoppedup in the 70's. We found people in Escondido were friendly and polite. We didn't want to leave the place!!! But after 5 days we had to go on. I wouln't mind going back there!

Going on east- went went through Oaxaca and San Cristobal, just stopping breefely on our way to Palenque. In Palenque our main goal was to go out in the rainforrest to see tha maya ruins. It was easy to get out to the ruins, and it was a sight to remember, walking in and seeing the different buildings. Amazing! The town of Palenque was ok, lots of backpackers and nice people. The hostels on the other hand, were big and qiute dirty. But after travelling by bus (said to be dangerous)and visiting Mexico City (the worlds most criminal city), Palenque was the town that we felt the most insecure in. There are lots of dark alleys, specially going to the hostels.

Our next stop was Merida. We didn't stay for more than the day, just looking around. it was nice enough, but we went on to Playa Del Carmen.

We lovedPlaya DelCarmen!! Quiet, but at the same time touristy. Nice beaches and resturants. Staying in hostels was expencive, and there were heaps of geckos(my friend was afraid of them, so I had to chase them, the poor things... :)

Our last stopover was Cancun, before going to New York on our way back. Cancun was big and the partying good. It is more expensive than the other places we went, but worth it. The beaches were also nice, and we enjoyed it immensly.

A few tips: -It is realy HOT in Mexico in July- just be aware. -Bring an English- Spanish dictionary, even in the touristy places they don't speak a lot og English

We had an AMAZING trip, I would recommend goingby bus around in Mecixo. I would not mind going back, and Ienvyyou if you are going any of these places! Have fun, don't stress, and remember- youare a guest in their country- respect them and they respect you!
travelman727 says:
Thanks for the wonderful review!
Posted on: Feb 01, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About travelling the southern part of Mexico

Travelling through Mexico
Two years ago I travelled through the Southern part of Mexico. Absoultely to recommend, but you need a little time.... We started out in Mexico City, and even if the altitude was a bit of a problem …travelled through the Southern part of Mexico. Absoultely to recommend, but you need a little time.... We started…
Southern Mexico Map