The T-Berg yo!

Tonsberg Travel Blog

Tonsberg view 2

Just got back in today from a little two week stay in Tønsberg, Norway, and for your information, no one really refers to this place per my example in the title... just bein' cheezy,Weezy.  Anyway, it was a really nice time.  Since my friend originally grew up in this place and moved to Oslo, it was back to the old stomping grounds for us.  We were lucky enough to save a few bucks and catch a ride with the twins - a couple of really awesome girls who just infect you with their energy.  Met some really cool people and went to some really cool places, but mostly, I just got to know the area first hand with the help of my guide.  Not a really large city, it didn't take long for me to familiarize myself with it.

Maskinestenes Cafe
  One place I had to visit was called Castle Rock, which is a tall tower that stood upon a hill overlooking the entire city.  The views are really amazing, and I wanted to get a good shot of the place, so it worked.  Although I hadn't tried any myself, I heard that you could get some of the older traditional Norwegian meals at the cafe located at the entrance near the bottom of this hill.  Yeah, I learned that bit of info after the fact... ce la vie.

Another place I went to that I really enjoyed was a place called Maskinestenes... something-a-rather.  Purported to have "the best beer in Norway" by Suzie, a charming and friendly girl employed by this wonderful establishment (who also highly recommended the skewered chicken salad with feta cheese and a tsatsiki dressing - which was pretty good), I might just have to agree with her at this point.  Mind you, I didn't come to Norway to partake in the pubbing, so I am somewhat limited in my comparisons (Carlsberg and Tuborg being the only other two I consumed with the usual Homer-like quality).  In any case, this place is really cool.  Where is this located, you ask, so that you might also indulge at this most notable of places??  Well, why don't I tell you... it's at... hmm, let's make it a little more interesting... it's close to the pier, across from the church that's next to Castle Rock.  Ok, I couldn't tell you exactly where it is, but that's how I remember it.  Where's your sense of adventure?  Get a tour guide.  Oh, and the beer is called Aass.  hehe, yep.  Had me some of that, baby.

I was also fortunate enough to have a couple of days away from all the worry and woe(not) that is Tønsberg, by travelling up to a cabin they had in the woods, for the night.  A quaint place with an amazing view.  I fell instantly in love with it.  I actually got to chop wood for a fireplace.  SWEET(I dunno... maybe it's a guy thing).  Sometimes the little things can make a big difference.  Grilled some hot dogs for dinner, played some board games to pass the time, and enjoyed the serene beauty of a great norwegian summer night.

After spending the night at the cabin, we headed back to Tønsberg to chill.  Turns out that they were having a music festival that weekend, and all sorts of people were coming into town.  The location for the event was actually at Castle Rock, and even though I was staying a ways from town, you could still hear the bands playing in the distant.  Mostly Scandinavian talent, I shyed away from attending since I wouldn't be able to understand most of it anyway.  Besides, we were planning on going back to Pepe's again the following night, so we could party it up with everyone there.  Aside from the insane amout of people that turned out at Pepe's, we hit up a spot called Laurits(?sp) just before, and at the time it held a comfortable amount of people.  Playing a lot of alternative rock and punk-ish type music with a small outdoor area, I actually liked it a little more than Pepe's, musicwise.  Apparently, 20 minutes after leaving that joint(we stayed for exactly the amount of time it'd take to use the restroom and attempt to say hi to a busy bartender friend with no avail) it got packed like sardines, as usual... or so I'm told.  In anycase, we had a great time at Pepe's... met some more cool people, particularly the group next to us who would include me in their norwegian toast for drinking (skol! Lars) - which soon became commonplace, and had some more beer.  Mmmm... beer.  Good times were had by all.

The next day was for recoup before heading it back to Oslo for my remaining week here.  And yes, we walked home once again.  It wasn't so bad... :)

Tonsberg