EuropeNorwayOslo

Norway '07

Oslo Travel Blog

Hello Norway

First off, this entry, or any of my entries to come, are probably not going to be of any use to anyone on here, but rather a place I found in cyberspace where I can attempt to regurgitate my experiences in some sort of tangible way, if that's the right word I'm looking for.

Anyway, I'm not real keen on doing a lot of "touristy" things, although I do have my fair share of them.  I'm more the type to go somewhere and get to know a city by either having a friend who lives there or by meeting new friends, and discovering it on my own.  Leaving room for a bit of impulsiveness can make for some interesting adventures.  Living it local is my favorite way to travel and experience the people and culture of a place.

Norway..

The city tram/trolley
. what to say, what to say... I love this place!  But then again, I love every place that I've been to.  Oslo is the city that the first segment is based out of.   Now, when I planned this trip, it was going to be a six week holiday divided into two segments... the first was this trip to Norway, and the second is my trip (back) to Canada on the way back from Norway, before heading home to Hawaii.  The amount of time I'm spending in each place is: Norway - 4wks; Canada - 2wks.  I have friends in both places, so that's definitely taking the pressure off of my wallet, especially since Oslo is something like the third most expensive city in the world.  I planned the first part of my trip to be a laid back vacation of hanging out with my friend, meeting some new people, and walking around and getting to know the area.  So far, so good! :)  I've been here for almost two weeks and I'm starting to get familiar with things.  Since I'm saving my partying for Canada, I haven't really been going out to bars much.  I did go to one place in Oslo though called Tullins which is a pretty cool spot with the cheap beer prices(33kr) after 11pm and a DJ spinning some random music.  I guess that most Norwegians like to pre-party and don't really start going out until 11pm or 12am.  Right now I'm in a place called T√łnsberg about an hour and a half south of Oslo.  From what I hear, it's the oldest city in Northern Europe dating back like a thousand years.  A suburban area, in contrast to Oslo city, with some really gorgeous houses, at night it gets quiet... too quiet.  And by quiet I mean... you can't hear a thing... no crickets, no cars(sometimes), no nothing.  It's almost like you start to imagine hearing sounds because you're not used to not hearing anything, or at least I'm not.  Pretty crazy, but cool for sure.

One thing that I hate writing about is weather, but I have to say that it's been pretty wet here with only a few good sunny days so far.  Apparently it hasn't rained here this much at this time of year, ever

Last night was my friend's sisters birthday soiree, so we started the night off with the pre-party, and at about 12:30 in the morn' we headed out on the town.  Our point of interest was a pub called Pepe's, with no cover, normal priced beer(70kr), and packed to the hilt.  Apparently everyone comes back during the summer, and the weekends are busy.  sweet.  The one thing I'm not sure I can get used to is getting home after the pub.  There aren't enough cabs to go around so people are lined up along the sidewalk, the busses get packed to over capacity with the driver jacking up prices to make an extra buck, or there's the 20 - 30 minute walk home.  We chose the walk.  Next time I'm thinking of bailing the preparty early and then the pub in order to avoid the crowd.  We'll see how it goes...

Oslo