Bangaan, Ducligan, NPA and some Landslides Back to Banaue

Ducligan Travel Blog

Bangaan Rice Terraces, UNESCO Heritage Site

Right after our "brunch" in Banaue, we again hit the road. This time, to see another cluster of rice terraces, the Bangaan Rice Terraces. People living here here used to make jars hence the name of the place (Banga means Jar in the local dialect).  I don't think they still make jars there but one thing I am very sure is that the ancestors of Bangaan people has left this generation and future generations of marvelous rice terraces that it's sheer size and beauty just like with Batad, Hapao and other terraces is comparable to any ancient wonders. It is their legacy to all Filipinos that the whole country is proud of, a true Filipino icon.

The trip to Bangaan was not totally new to me since the place is proximal to Batad which I visited twice already; we also passed through the Batad Junction.

Bangaan Rice Terraces, UNESCO Heritage Site
I remember this place because of the landslide that chipped the road to Batad into half which forced me and my sister to walk for three hours instead of just 45 minutes to Batad Village. We passed the same road but this time, the road has been fixed and passable to commuters. I was glad that it's now fixed. I am not fit to walk from Junction to Bangaan which I think was about 10 kilometers away from the Junction. Although the trail was flat unlike with the hike to Batad, my fitness was not good enough for it.

So there, after more than an hour of trip from Banaue to Batad, we finally reached the view deck of Bangaan. Again, I was amazed by how the ancestors of this place had tamed the hostile mountains of Cordillera with their basic tools, engineering instincts and artistic touches that resulted to these breathtaking rice terraces.

Ducligan Rice Terraces
Unlike with Hapao rice terraces, the rice in Bangaan has either been harvested already or new batches of rice is being planted already.

After we completed the three places that we wanted to see (Hungduan, Hapao and Bangaan), Denwil said that he would be providing us extra free and would make a side trip to the hot spring of Ducligan. Having no idea how far the place is, we said, yeah. We was on vacation and we would say yes to anything anyway, and it was for free. So, there’s no potential harm on that. :)

We droved again for another 30 minutes before we reached a good spot to see the terraces of Ducligan. The scenery was of green mountains of Cordillera with a river splitting the landscape like a snake with rice terraces on each side. It was one of the prettiest places I have ever seen in my whole life.

While doing all these sightseeing, we some how bumped into different types of people like we exchanged hellos and good mornings with an NPA with real big gun.

J He was pretty nice on that morning though, good for us, we were not accused of being commercialist, imperialist and what ever. Hahaha.

After the picture taking at the view point of Duclican, we went back to the Village to start our hike of 30 minutes through the village and unto some hot springs. It was a tiring hike but worth it because it was on this place that we really got close to impressive stone walls of rice terraces. My respect to those who created these terraces is beyond words.

The hot spring was well, nothing really special but the whole experience of hiking through the village of Ducligan and getting really close to the locals and the rice terraces is something I will remember for the rest of my life.

Then we droved back to Banaue, this time the weather was really bad, I mean really bad. It was raining really hard and the danger of landslide is high in mountains like where we were. Visibility was poor due to non-stop rain and we were zigzagging at very high altitude. It was a scary ride with one interruption when the vehicle in front of us has to clear the landslide in front of them. Looking back it was a fun experience but during the ride, it was not a laughing matter.

Once we reached Banaue, Denwil invited us to his home. There we got to meet his lovely and pretty wife and we watched the DVD of their wedding held in Batad. I always love it when a local invites me to his home…

Then we had dinner in Las Vegas again.

Denwil and his family
We learned that there were 5 landslides on the highway, and our 8 PM trip to Manila might be cancelled. The three of us were actually thrilled to the idea of extending one night in Banaue. Well, we were not so lucky that night as the landslides were cleared right away and our trip has to push through. So there, we wrapped up the good experiences we had in Banaue for the past two days with sleeping almost for 8 hours in our trip back to the jungle we are familiar of.

Bangaan Rice Terraces, UNESCO Heri…
Bangaan Rice Terraces, UNESCO Her…
Bangaan Rice Terraces, UNESCO Heri…
Bangaan Rice Terraces, UNESCO Her…
Ducligan