Hiking History in Banaue

Banaue Travel Blog

I spent my compliance leave from work exploring my own backyard. I have been procastinating to go and see for myself the gradeaur of Banaue. I asked my "climber" friend to create an itinerary for me to explore the highlands of Luzon, he gave an itinerary to see Banaue, Batad and Sagada.

I was with a college friend to do this, and we left Manila to Banaue for almost like forever bus ride. That's an exageration.

We reached Banaue in the following morning, looked for a transport to Batad, good thing there was this group of Polish backpackers who wanted to see Batad as well. We shared with the jeepney fare. After an hour or so jeepney ride to the jump off point to Batad, we started hiking.
I never did hiking for years and my muscle, my lungs, my body is no longer fit to hike. An hour worth of hike turned out to be longer for me.

We reached Batad at a very foggy state. I can't see anything expect for some Igorot huts. We looked for a boarding house, get settled, ordered our breakfast. While waiting for our breakfast, the fog started to clear up, then the beauty of the place appeared. The amphitheater of steps to heavens is right in front of me. It was all green with palay growing. It is so surreal. For a few moment, I was just there, frozen. I have seen places, and this place was really worth an orgasm. =)

Anyway, after breakfast, we hiked the terraces for hours to go to Tapiyya Falls. Went back to the hut, drank the igorot rice wine, then slept. Left Batad the following morning to Sagada.

I want to go back to Batad. The physical conditioning and time required for this trip is all worth it.

The Banaue Rice Terraces in Banaue are a bit touristy, the ones in Batad are the real deal!
annthansten says:
Lovely entry, and amazing pictures. Now I want to go there too!
Posted on: Aug 04, 2009
Transitory says:
Congrats, it's a good blog!
Posted on: Jul 18, 2009
KeikoCreative says:
Congrats on your featured!
Posted on: Jul 18, 2009