Seafood & Beer

New York Travel Blog

A month or 2 ago, my friends and I went to a craft beer/food fest. There were a bunch of vendors representing restaurants through New York City serving beer and bites to pair with them. Now, I’m not sure if the beer and food actually went well together, because we were mostly like O.O and NOMNOMNOM. Naked Cowboy Oysters were also there (Naked Cowboy as in THE Naked Cowboy), so I spent a good amount of time hovering around that table. Oysters. Now I’m distracted. Speaking of which, there’s an AWESOME seafood place in the West Village called Fish. If you want some well-priced delicious seafood eats, GO THERE.

2 orders: Before
They have a red-white-and-blue special… 6 oysters + 1 glass of wine/PBR for $8!!! I’ve gotten it everyyyyyy time. They also have a lobster bake meal, which I believe is 1 whole lobster, a corn on the cob, and something else for about $20. Oh, and all you can eat Maryland blue crabs (these babies are GINORMOUS) for less than $25.

Yea, so that picture is of 2 orders. My friend Natalie and I didn’t even ask for seconds because after we finished, the plate looked like this:

I was stuffed and tired, with bleeding hands that were also pruney from the Old Bay seasoning. But darn those crabs were gooood! It came with melted butter and vinegar too, but the melted butter tasted like there was toffee in it.  I didn’t like it.  I’ve also had the lobster mac  & cheese (heavy but delicious – I think it was made with fusilli which I ADORE), lobster bisque (drool), mashed potatoes with lobster gravy (aka mashed potatoes with lobster bisque)… see a pattern? No, but I do want to return to try other items (ok fine, I mean the lobster bake).

2 Orders: After
We’ve been getting our lobster fix at The Lobster Place in Chelsea Market (see example above) – you basically pick your lobster, they steam it, give you a side of butter, and you eat away. They also have lobster rolls, bisques, oysters, and shrimp. Scott and I have tried to make lobster before, but it was kind of a miserable fail (we really didn’t know what we were doing – and we saw these green guts and got freaked out… we later found out that this was the lobster liver aka some kind of delicacy) so I don’t have a DIY for this unfortunately.

So my original post was to rave about this beer that I tried at the beer fest. The most memorable beer we had by far was by a company called Evil Twin, from Copenhagen. They have a line of 12% ABV beers, but they don’t taste it! They’re on the heavy side (well, they’re imperials), but damn delicious.

We had the Yin (Imperial Stout), Yang  (Imperial IPA), and the DK (Vanilla Imperial Stout). Apparently you’re supposed to mix the Yin/Yang, but I preferred the Yin alone (not a huge IPA fan), and the DK even more. I like wheats and stouts, so you’ll be hearing more about those :) We got some Evil Twins from Whole Foods in hopes of replicating our experience:

The Soft DK was by far our favorite – it’s an imperial stout (aka strong and dark) with deep vanilla flavors, which I think helps lighten it up. Its a 12% beer, so its quite strong, but unlike many imperials, it is [a little too] easy to drink  quickly. A very delicious dessert beer!

http://hungryee.wordpress.com/ All Rights Reserved