Happy Holidays!

Boston Travel Blog

Lots of food adventures to write about with the holidays! I spent a few days in Boston with some college friends, during which my friends and I drank and ate of course. I arrived the night after Christmas and was quickly whisked away to the North End, where I had a crazy seafood pasta (lobster, mussels, clams), lobster ravioli (with an incredibly decadent sauce – my god, I’m drooling as I’m typing), and a butternut squash ravioli at Giacomo’s. It was probably the smallest restaurant I’ve been in (and I’m from NY!) but with incredible food & drinks at fabulous prices. E.g. a bottle of wine was $16, a Blue Moon seasonal was $3.

WTF?! I was very pleased. So if you’re in the area…. go. Beware of the no-reservation policy and the we-won’t-seat-you-until-your-entire-party-is-here policy. We stood outside for quite a while (we arrived around 8:45pm) staring down patrons in hopes they would eat more quickly.

And of course, we got Mike’s [Pastry] for dessert. A plain and chocolate mouse cannoli, and a lobster tail. Gluttony at its finest.

The next day, I visited Harpoon Brewery and drank some beer. Most of which I didn’t like too much – the tastes were very light and “watery” (I did like their Dark, and the Chocolate Stout was drinkable). But we agreed that the cider smelled like cheese (we really weren’t tipsy enough to make that up). The tour itself was pretty cool though.

Apparently they’re the largest beer manufacturer in Massachusetts. We also got to drink some flat Celtic ale straight from the fermenter! Worth a visit for the tour, not necessarily for the beer.

That night, we went to another minuscule place – Japanese this time. And had some fresh sushi (including a very interesting avocado ball stuffed with white and red tuna, which is what they’re famous for). The sashimi salad was my favorite.

The next day… we repeated the cycle. Pizza at Figs in Beacon Hill and a visit to the Sam Adams Brewery. Figs had GREAT thin-crust pizza and interesting topping combinations. The combinations were a little too crazy for my tastes – we had the fig & proscuitto (too many figs for my liking, as it made the pizza too sweet), chicken sausage (with ricotta – nothing notable for me), portabello with truffle oil (mushrooms were yummy), and the red sox (red peppers, sausage – the most “normal” and probably  my favorite).

The crusts were super thin though, and that’s what I loved. It felt like sauces + meats/toppings on crackers though rather than pizza to me.

The final stop before my bus back to NY was Sam Adams brewery (I told you it was drinking + eating!). Although we arrived at 1:30pm, the tours were filled until 3pm, so we took their “party trolley” to Doyles – the first bar that served Sam Adams beer. We got to keep the glass with our pint, and I chose a Sam Adams Brick Red, a draft available only in Boston. It was a amber-y ale that wasn’t too heavy for me. I liked it. We had a GREAT tour guide and got to smell/taste (!) the different barley that went into stouts, lagers, etc. Tour definitely recommended.

The rest of my vacation consisted of chowing in NY. More to come on that. :)

http://hungryee.wordpress.com/ All Rights Reserved

theodreed says:
Thank you guys!
Posted on: Feb 20, 2012
Laiskee says:
great blog! very informative.... and now im very hungry
Posted on: Feb 19, 2012
monky says:
Congratulations on this featured blog!
Posted on: Feb 19, 2012
Boston Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Incredible food & drinks at fabulous prices
I arrived the night after Christmas and was quickly whisked away to the North End, where I had a crazy seafood pasta (lobster, mussels, clams), lobste… read entire review
Boston Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Largest beer manufacturer in Massachusetts
Visited Harpoon Brewery and drank some beer. Most of which I didn’t like too much – the tastes were very light and “watery” (I did like their … read entire review
Boston