Phish New Years Run (Jupiter) Miami, FL - 12/28/03

Miami Travel Blog

AH! That's COLD!

Four years after Big Cypress and two years after DBB in Southern Florida, Jordan finally made it down to Josh's beach home in Jupiter.

The occasion: four Phish shows at the American Airlines Arena in Miami, Florida: 12/28-31/03.

A few days in Jupiter preceded the shows, and we got some December beach time.  Russ and I brave the chilly winter ocean in the photo to the right. Still, we likened it to Hampton Beach in June.

For the third consecutive every-other year, friends descended on Jupiter for a year's end gathering. Marcus (pictured below in the forefront w/me in the background) flew into Miami from New York; Jordan flew from Reno.

Jupiter, FLA
Beth came into Fort Lauderdale, and the Chicago kids--Adam, Carmen, Josh, and Jackie--did the 1,350-mile drive. Josh and I traded our plane tickets for a road trip experience, as well as the opportunity to drag along a hitchhiker. (My birthday present to Aaron was gas and tolls to Miami; Josh gave gas and tolls for the return trip.)  Then it was onto Miami for the shows.

For the 12/28 show, our crew headed down to Mike side and ended up in the corner beside Fishman. I found myself in the second row, with tons of room to dance. And when I looked up in the section, I saw 25 of my greatest friends. Old friends like Adam and Jordan grooved alongside new friends like Aaron and Gene. It was a pretty fun experience, but I found the first set oddly disjointed.

It's the Wolfman's Daughter.

At the beginning of the second set, a woman with a toddler walked to the side of the stage. The woman plopped the child down on the steps leading to the stage, and the girl gazed up at the drummer. Clutching a doll, her eyes were fixed upon the funny-looking drummer in a polka-dotted dress. During the fun of the Jiboo, it registered to me that Fishman's daughter was seeing her Dad at work.

The girl made a few simple gestures to her father; while he did not return a wave, Fish did focus on her daughter intently for the entire jam segment of the Jiboo. Locking eyes with her at the side of the stage, Fish made a connection with his family while he created the rhythm to beautiful music. I stood in a direct line between Fishman and his child; the intensity I felt was overpowering. A girl asked me if I saw what was happening, and I could only nod in awe. It was a magical moment.

The stunning photographs of Fishman and his daughter above were taken by D. Marcus Arm. (I had decided that I didn't need my camera for the first night of the run.) Much props to DMA for capturing one of the most wonderful and intimate glimpses of Phish I've ever experienced. Marcus was a row above me and documented the event well.

At the time, I thought 12/28 was a very fun show with some nice highlights. By the time I left Miami, I had considered it my fourth-favorite of the four shows. Listening to the show on disc, I now rank 12/28 as perhaps the greatest show of the run (though probably a notch below 12/29).

AH! Thats COLD!
AH! That's COLD!
Jupiter, FLA
Its the Wolfmans Daughter.
It's the Wolfman's Daughter.
Daddy Fishman - 12/28/03