Durango, CO to Price, UT

Durango Travel Blog

We woke up at Anne's at ate some biscuits, then headed out. Before we left Durango, Anne took us to this beautiful meadow surrounded by mountains. It was amazing and by this point I was absolutely in love with Colorado. We drove out of Durango towards Utah, so sadly we didn't get to see Telluride. But there WILL be a next time, so hopefully I'll see it then! We got into Utah and went to Canyonlands national park. Canyonlands is HUGE! We saw Newspaper Rock, a big side of mountain with tons of petroglyphs in it. We went to the visitor center and had a talk with one of the rangers. With her recommendation, we left Canyonlands and went to Arches instead. We stopped in Moab for lunch and then went into the park.

Arches is a much smaller national park, but quite spectacular nonetheless. The rocks are bright orange and red and in really interesting formations. We took a 3 mile roundtrip walk to Delicate Arch. The walk was relatively easy, so we were all embarrassed by how hard we were breathing by the time we got to the Arch. I went over to the side away from all the tourists and sat alone for a bit. It was so beautiful and the only living thing I could see for miles was a hawk circling below me.  We hiked back, and a little bit into the walk I took off my shoes and finished the hike barefoot. I LOVE being barefoot, feeling all the different textures on the bottoms of my feet. Most of the walk was on soft sand and cool rock, so it was quite easy on my feet! Towards the bottom of the hike, there was an old splintery bridge, but I think my feet made it through okay. We drove a little further into the park and around Devil's Garden got out and took a little walk to another big arch we saw people inside of. We couldn't make it up to the arch, but did get a little rock climbing in (barefoot in my case).
We left Arches around sunset and went back into Moab to eat dinner. On our way out, I got pulled over again for going 45 mph in a 30 zone. This cop was nicer than the first and let me go, but it was still nerve-wracking. Matt and Auni asked if I wanted one of them to drive, but I insisted on driving us all the way to Price, about 50 miles away from Moab.
Newspaper rock