Adventures in Sydney Pt. 2

Sydney Travel Blog

Parsley Bay

I woke up this morning (June 3rd), again early and when the sun came out, i went out for another run this time up 'Heartbreak Hill', and my word it is massive.. it was a good workout and saw many children in school way before 8 o'clock doing sports outside, which is unbelievable deifferent to the scene in England. At the top of Heartbreak Hill (which is near Rose Bay and Vacluse in the Eastern Suburbs) you get spectacular views of the Harbour but sadly i was to cream-crackered to take it all in and wanted to get back so i could drink some Powerade!!

Later on in the morning / later into the afternoon we went to Parsley Bay which is in Vacluse which was an Awesome spot with another beautiful beach (this would become a common theme in Sydney) had a beautiful play area for the kids and we met up with some relatives who live in Sydney, it was a beautiful picnic with 3 flavours of crisps!! there was also a cafe (another common theme in Sydney) which is where i would have my first of literally hundreds of 'Flat White' coffee's!! in Australia!! what is a 'Flat White' coffee by the way? i hate coffee but this was nicer than tea!!! it was wicked!!

The day after we went to 'Scotland Island' which is not to far from Palm Beach (where, i believe 'Home and Away' is filmed) it was a crazy Journey along many a winding road and it was the first time i took a ferry since arriving in Sydney (this has to be my favourite mode of public transport) we got to 'Scotland Island' and I thought i was in Lost!! no joke, I'm fairly sure i saw Locke!! the family who I am staying with have friends in Scotland Island thats why we went.

Scotland Island
. it was a Beautiful island but i found it to be too much like a rainforest and really really couldn't picture my self living there!! this opinion was cemented when i was told of some who lived on the island who was keeping snakes and he had lost a few (I am poo scared of snakes, and if i saw one i would probably cry!) it was cemented by the daughter of our friends (a three year old) taking me for a walk and after about 2 minuted i asked where we were going and she said ' a funnel-web spider nest' never has my macho status been in so much question as it was when i was trying to tell a three-year-old girl i was pretty scared about seeing a big spiders nest!! when she was dead set on it!!..  and i dont even mind spiders!!

Later that evening i was directed for my new run (which would be my route form now-on the route was to 'Bondi Beach', not sure about you but i loed the sound of running to Bondi!!) which i completed in the morning!! My expectations for Bondi were so low everybody who had been there was saying it was pretty horrible and full of people!! but when i got there, it was stunning!! a pristine golden beach with a georgeous sea!! the nicest beach I've seen and probably the biggest!! i ran all along the beach front (seeing though i came from Double Bay, this extra trek should be applauded) and ran to Bondi Icebergs which i though was the coolest idea ever, and a place i would love to swim when i get back (swimming pool ontop of clifftop's is also a regular occurance and somehting whenever i saw thought was cool!) so to everyone Bondi Beach is not rubbish it is an amazing beach with ace waves!!

after coming home and having two bottles of powerade and that chicken, advacado and mayo sandwhich (from Redleaf pool cafe!!) and of course two flat white coffee's i felt replenished enough to go into town onto the monorail and to the Sydney Aquarium!! the Aquarium was amazing but sadly couldn't help feeling hatred for stingray's which for all you Steve Irwin fan's im sure you can relate!!! and also i think it is a tad cruel to keep things locked up but hey it makes an interesting spectacle, i saw another snake :-( a platypus :-) and touched a shark, which for someone like me who is pretty scared of a lot of wildlife is a brekthrough!! it was also a good place for souveniers for friends and family!! after this we walked around Darling Harbour (not beofre another flat white) and into the chinease gardens which is remarkable tranquil and peacful seeing though it is in the middle of a huge city!!

The next day and after another run to Bondi and several flat whites, i went out in the evening.
Redleaf Pool (I Loved this place)
. Started at the Golden Sheaf Hotel in Double Bay, not sure how old you have to be to drink in Australia but i got asked for ID 3 times within my first 10 minutes!! other than that it was a nice place with Rock membrobilia on the wall and 'Tiny Dancer' on the jukebox, i met a few people in there and we went onto King's Cross and to the 'world bar' which was a bit too smokey for me (they obviously dont have a smoking ban yet!!) but it was full of many different English accents from Geordie to Cockney, the music was also good playing a selection of British 90's Indie hits, which was very handy for me.. sadly i was pretty gone after this club and even though we went to another club i cannot rememebr what it was called so, sorry folks.. I think i spent a couple of hours on a beach before arriving home at around 6.
At Double Bay Wharf
. all in all my first night out in Sydney was very enjoyable and very cheap and the people again were extremely friendly (which again, is a common theme!!) but people really struggled to understand me!!

This day was very hard with very little sleep and lot's of flat whites inside me we went for a walk into the more touristy parts of Sydney.. we walked along the beach front of Double Bay and to the Ferry Terminal where a board with '5-0   5.1.07' awaited me (for anyone not a cricket fan.. this is the date where England lost the final test match to Australia and as a result got an Ashes white wash!!) in my hungover state i made a reminder in my fone for the last day to put on top of the board '09 REVENGE!!' because oh yes we well have Tres and Vaughan and a Proper Freddie back!! Anyways, back to the journey I went around the opera house and the Harbour Bridge and then to the Rocks (where i had my first Totheys) and then to the Sydney Tower.
The Board At Double Bay
. i thought the Rocks was amazing although there is little history to Australia I thought this part was extremley interesting!! and again every one seemed very helpful as we looked extremly lost and i looked hungover people kept on stopping and asking if we needed directions, which rarley sadly never happens in England!! also went to HMV and to my utter joy there was a BBC DVD section with loads of 'Only Fools And Horses', so after buying several of these i returned home to nurse my hangover with DelBoy and Rodney and a flat white!!

The next day i was a lot more refreshed, and today I did what I came to Sydney to do go to the SCG.. we had a tour booked for 1pm and it typical me fashion i set off 3 hours early, i was walking as from Double Bay - SCG doesn't look to far and it isn't but, in typical me fashion i got hella lost this time in Centennial Park!!! as i thought the SCG was there, i was walking around this park trying to find a big stadium and a big Cricket ground!! after asking directions from about 10 people i caught my first climpse of the venue where Michael Vaughan scored is glorious 186 (I think) even though i could see the ground i still couldnt find out where the enterance was!! after asking directions from the people at Aussie Statium i found the enterance for the SCG and noted it was 1:10pm probably and hour walk took me 3 hours and 10 min!! thats fairly hard to do!! i joined the tour late (which wasn't a problem as they went around Aussie Statium first) and then i saw the halo turf, it's a tiny ground but loads of tradition and i was looking around for hours!! had no trouble walking home but was bit cream-crackered so i fell asleep watcing 'Only Fools and Horses'!!

later that evening we had a meal at the waterfront which was in the middle of the opera house and the Harbour bridge which gave spectacular views, we were outside and that night would be the first time that the rain would come (rain which would be there for days and days and days) it was also the first time I had a caesar salad (a salad i would have for days and days and days) it was a georgeous restaurant but in the rain even with heaters it was freezing and we all ate with our coats on and shiverring! great food and a great loaction!! after this we had drink at the customs house, which on the top floor had a very nice bar with some cocktails I've never heard before!! couldn't indulge in too many as the next day we were getting up early to start the drive to Canberra!!

At The Oper House