Sydney- Day 4 - On the Road again

Sydney Travel Blog

Rainforest

Got up in the morning, packed up and said good-bye to Anna as she had to head in to work. After breakfast Josh dropped us off at our departure point....Cheers Josh...until next time mate! I had planned a special and very different mode of transportation and way of traveling through Australia. I booked a camper van that we were going to pick up in Sydney and drive all the way to Cairns, stopping at certain cities and towns along the way. And we were going to drop the Van off in Cairns. This is in my opinion the best way to see Australia, especially if you have many places that you want to see as well as the countryside.

Tarzan!
..coming and going as you please, making your way up the coast. The camper van was perfect! It had a little kitchen, and a back area that turned into a full size bed for two. This van was going to be our home and place to sleep for the next 10 days! The plan was to drive and stay each night at RV parks so that we could hook up the water and electricity. Adventure time!!! So Josh had dropped us off at the camper van place where we actually ended up waiting 4 hours for this thing. I guess they were getting it ready and then with all of the paperwork, etc. it took this long...ugh! Anyway, we finally got it...hopped in, and were off! It was about 3:30pm when we were finally leaving Sydney, drove up Pacific Highway #1 for many hours trying to make some headway. We had a goal to at least make it to Coffs Harbour to set up camp but we wanted to drive through "Waterfall Way to Rainforest Lookout, so we had to move quick.
Rainforest lookout point
Waterfall Way is the route that passes through some of New South Wales' most scenic countryside and has become well known as New South Wales best and Australia's third most beautiful tourist drive. Seven national parks, three of which are listed as World Heritage Areas by UNESCO and form part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia (formerly the Central Eastern Rainforest Reserves) are located on or close to the route. I didn't even know rainforests existed down in this part of Australia...it was another pleasant surprise. Arrived at an area and got out and walked through some of the trails and bridges, and took in the breathtaking lookout vantage point overlooking the rainforest. Went through a small gift shop and bought a few nick-nacs that smelled like eucalyptus. After I got to swing on some vines like Tarzan, we decided to hit the road if we wanted to make it to Coffs Harbour...which we finally did around 11:30 pm. We found a RV park at Moonee Beach in Coffs Harbour but the offices were obviously closed by then so we just pulled in and went to bed. We found that if you get to the RV parks after the offices have closed, you just find a spot and pull in. The next morning they will come by and collect your fee for the night that you stayed. These parks were so cheap, $10-20 a night depending on the park and its facilities. But it is definitely safer than just pulling on the side of the road somewhere, which I guess you could do if you were desperate. But anyway...so far so good. The next morning we were going to have a look in and around Coffs Harbour.

Sydney