Surfers Paradise Travel Blog

Surfers Paradise

Hit the road early in the morning as we wanted to spend most of this day in the famous Surfers Paradise! Surfers Paradise also called "Surfers" is a suburb on the Gold Coast in Queensland and has many high-rise apartment buildings and a very nice wide surf beach. The popular areas of Cavill Mall and Cavill Avenue are some of the busiest shopping areas in Queensland, and the center of activity for night life. Surfers Paradise's high-rise buildings are the best known feature of the Gold Coast's skyline. As soon as we arrived we walked down the strip and bought a few souvenirs and I bought some new board shorts, then we hit the Beach! After chill-axin a while on the beach it was TIME! I went to a little surf shack and rented a board and hit the waves! The waves were very rough that day and it was a little windy.

Surfer Paradise Beach
I had a few hours to Rip and Hang 10 even though I was very rusty and hadn't been surfing in a while...haha. After I got used to the waves and the sets I caught a few nice ones. As always surfing was a great workout and I was sore later...lol! Wish I could surf everyday! After hangin on the beach we headed back to where our van was parked and we finally saw the famous Surfers Paradise Meter Maids that I had also seen on the travel channel! For 40 years now the Surfers Paradise Meter Maids have been one of Qlds most famous Icons. Unmistakingly recognisable in their gold bikinis and akubra hats, the Meter Maids are a national symbol which embodies the spirit of what the Gold Coast is all about, sun, surf and fun. Initially introduced to remove the negative publicity which surrounded the installation of parking meters, the Meter Maids purpose was to feed the meters to save motorists from receiving a parking fine.
Surfin into shore
The Meter Maids are no longer just "meter feeders", they have become a dynamic, effective and unique promotional & Marketing tool which can offer a variety of services to any organisation. The Meter Maids today are still feeding the newly installed parking machines and are still the welcoming arm to tourists in Surfers Paradise. After watching them in action for a while Karli said "Ok dear its time to move on"....LOL! So we hopped in the van and drove down the beach to find a camper van park, which we did...right on the BEACH! We stayed at Main Beach Tourist Park, and it even had a swimming pool...sweet! So we jumped in the pool and swam for a while watching the ocean and waves and chillen some more. Then we got cleaned up as the sun was setting and went to grab some dinner. We found an outdoor spot and had a great steak and seafood dinner and had another type of Australian beer called Carlton Cold!!! This was our favorite, we liked it even better than Coopers! Now this could possibly be becuase this beer was very cold and refreshing and we were parched from the being in the sun all day....but it had a great taste as well! after dinner we found an internet cafe and sent some emails, then went back to the campsite and crashed. Another great day on the Beach!