Pre-planning stages

Visalia Travel Blog

As of this date, February 29th, we have decided not to go on this roadtrip.  Too many bad vibes, that included, but are not limited to the tornadoes that have ravaged Kansas, Missouri, and Tennessee.

We have also considered taking a cruise recently, but with two recent cruise ship disasters, that is sending bad vibes also.

Our health has not been a part of this decision.  Both my wife and I are finally back to a healthy enough status to go on any vacation we are able to take.

It looks like we might take a few short trips, either around California or fairly close by.

As most you are well aware, I am a planner.  So with only a little over a month to go before we head out I am sitting down with my wife to figure out where we going, at least in a rough draft formula, to get an idea of how long we will be gone and what we might see along the way.

Our first day today was to try to map out the general route we would take.  Here is what we have come up with.

Ridgecrest, CA to visit our oldest son.

east to Las Vegas, NV.

Bryce Canyon and Page, AZ

Monument Valley

Mesa Verde National Park

Gallup, NM

Albuquerque, NM

Amarillo, TX

Pawnee, OK to look up some family history

Fayetteville, Arkansas to look up some more family history

Branson, Missouri to be entertained for a day or two

Memphis, TN

Nashville, TN

Knoxville, TN

Tazewell, TN -- this is the furthest east of the family history we have uncovered so far and hopefully we can find records and documentation of more there.

Rogersville, TN - Found a town that has my name. Can't just miss that.

Kentucky, to see more of the bluegrass.

North Carolina

South Carolina

Dallas, Texas

New Mexico

Arizona, maybe to see some Hummingbirds

I know that looks like quite a bit but we could do it all in a couple of weeks if we just drove it point to point. We have done longer and really enjoyed it.  This time I'd love to have as many meetups as we can, so let us know where we can stop for a dinner, lunch, cup of coffee, soda, tea, and we will try hard to schedule you in.  Watch the details as they are added and hopefully we can put some names in of those that we can meet up with.

As you can see we are still looking at the same route, just pushing back the dates a little.  Minor medical things have been raising their ugly heads and requiring us to make sure they are done before we go.

gready2 says:
Wow Roger.. what a journey. I'm in Virginia Beach VA. If you are coming this way, let me know so we can arrange a group meet up. I can't wait to see your pictures and updates along the way! Safe travels and enjoy yourself... :)
Posted on: Mar 16, 2012
spocklogic says:
The recent one in the Seychelles is by the same cruise line (Costa Concordia) responsible for the Italian disaster too! That is just awful really...
Posted on: Mar 02, 2012
spocklogic says:
Quite ambitious! Depending on where you go in VA a mini-meetup may be possible if you pass near my way...
Posted on: Feb 28, 2012