O Canada...

Toronto Travel Blog

Casa Loma
Well I finally got around to leaving Vermont, and was very sad to say goodbye.  It really is so beautiful and I've become quite attached to the place.  But Canada was the plan, so Canada here I am.

I took a bus from Burlington to Toronto, which was long & uneventful & arrived about 10:30pm.  I was a little unimpressed with the hostel - I had booked a female dorm room, but due to some problem they only had a smaller 4-bed room (and wanted me to pay the extra for the room... ummm no), and what I didn't find out til I got to the room was that I was sharing with 3 guys.  Slightly awkward & uncomfortable for a lone female traveller.  It was fine in the end - more than anything it just smelled bad (I'm sorry boys out there, it's the truth).
Toronto from Casa Loma

My first day in Toronto I just wandered around, getting a feel for the place - went through St Lawrence Market (and marvelled at how food markets are the same the western-world over), past the CN Tower (I refuse to pay $30 to go up an elevator), and just up and down the streets.  I also eventually purchased a camera - not exactly what I wanted, but it'll do!

Toronto reminds me a little of Melbourne - mostly the familiar rumble of trams (or streetcars as they like to call them).  I felt kinda miserable the first day - I was having money stress (ie: I don't have enough!  I'm going to run out!) and I was just lonely - it's exactly the same as last year, this was my first day away from camp or camp people, and it's a bit of a shock to suddenly be by yourself!

Today was better - more wandering, lots of sunshine, me trying not to stress out so much.  I spent the afternoon at Casa Loma - an impressive house/castle to the north of the city.  Built by Sir Henry Pellatt at great expense, he only got to live in it for about 10 years before going broke.  It was interesting to look around & it has very pretty gardens.
Toronto