Je suis allé à Montréal...

Montreal Travel Blog

I arrived in Montréal at a slightly ridiculous hour on Monday - I chose the overnight bus option as it was a fair bit cheaper than travelling through the day because Monday was a public holiday.  So after sitting in front of the only two people on the bus who felt the need to talk all night, and having a half-hour layover @ 2am, and arriving in Montréal @ 5am... well let's just say I've felt better (and I've felt worse, so can't complain too much).

I headed to the Auberge Alternative hostel, which is in Vieux Montréal (Old Town), and although I couldn't actually collapse on a bed and sleep, it was fabulous - I had a shower & breakfast & multiple cups of free fair-trade coffee, and I felt much better.  The hostel is a converted warehouse type thing - the reception/kitchen/lounge has a great loft apartment feel.

Eventually I summoned enough energy to head out, wander through the streets, pick up some tourist brochures... and then hit a wall of tiredness!  I entertained myself in the evening by doing a leisurely supermarket shop, followed by a relaxing evening of cooking - some of you may laugh, but pottering around, chopping & mixing & frying & roasting (yes I did all of these) and eating a TON of vegies was so soothing!

The last two days I have stepped out and explored.  The highlight yesterday was visiting La Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal - a rather beautiful cathedral, just so decadently decorated, and so peaceful and reflective inside.  I spent quite some time just sitting there, and took a little guided tour as well.

Today I spent most of the day lounging in the sun up on Mont Royal itself.  There were paths & tracks criss-crossing everywhere, and there was fabulous sunshine, and there was me reading Wuthering Heights.  Then I popped into the Musee d'art Contemporain de Montréal, which was fairly small but interesting.
photo by: cvanzoen