Montemar NP, Pig's bay, Cienfuegos

Topes de Collantes Travel Blog

Montemar N.P.

Today we had a long day ahead of us; our first stop of the day was Montemar N.P., where there was a croc farm. It promised to be a sticky day, so the planned swim later sounded very good.

At the N.P. we walked around to see different aged crocs, from 3 mnths and up. We even got the chance to hold a 3 yro croc...which was surprisingly soft and warm. I know I sound like Steve Irwin, but: Crocs rule!

Then it was time to was away the sweat by a nice swim in Pig's bay...well a swim: I took a dive - went to 15 mtrs and had a blast, seeing some rays and beautiful bleu fishies. Downside: one of the ladies in the group decided it was my fault that we were running late, since I was the only one diving...but again: she complained a lot, about everything actually - and afterwards we had some nice Cuban home cooking in one of the home restaurants - small businesses with nice food, and meant to dodge the governement -.

We had fresh sea food, rice and fresh fruits o my.

The last stop before going to the hotel was Cienfuegos: again a colonial town, French colonial it is. It was nice and clean, like every town I have seen so far. It was more marble than other towns, f.e. Santa Clara. The theater was beautifully painted, old theater style.

The best was saved for last today: our trip up the mountain towards the hotel; it was getting dark, mountain road and a bus tire about to explode....what a blast ahum! It took us 1.5 hours to drive up, with a cursing driver and nervous guide...and all of us imaging headlines  - and of course it was my fault, well the guides fault for letting us snorkle and dive...according to horrible lady-.

But we got to the hotel safely, had a nice meal, some cocktails and of to bed.

Crocs Rule
We had fresh sea food, rice and fresh fruits o my.

But we got to the hotel safely, had a nice meal, some cocktails and of to bed.

Fresh as can be
Fresh as can be
Cienfuegos
Cienfuegos
Our great driver
Our great driver
Topes de Collantes Hotels & Accommodations review
The hotel is beautifully situated: near a N.P. in a mountain area. Unfortunatly the staff wasn't that friendly: a bit pushy for tips - and yes I kno… read entire review
Topes de Collantes