First day in Hong Kong - what a great place!

Kowloon Travel Blog

Rice paper lamps ready for the CNY celebration

I slept pretty well and I decided to skip the breakfast at the hotel, I just really wanted to be lazy the first full day in Hong Kong. I was out of the hotel around 10 am and I headed straight for the water and the Ferry Terminal area because I just wanted a view of Hong Kong for the first time, it felt really good. I had arrived and I had a week to spend in the city and I didn’t feel anything from jet lag or anything.

The harbor was quite empty and I just enjoyed the smell of water and the scenery. I walked down to the ferries knowing that I had to use as one of the main to-do-things of Hong Kong. I walked by the ferries and found a place to admire the Skyline of Hong Kong Island but it was covered in cloud and fog.

The bar ship
It was at least 5 degrees colder than when I arrived the day before and I could feel the colder weather as the humidity was really high.

I walked by the Kowloon Public Pier just behind the Hon Kong Culture Centre that had some nice angles, which I admired together with all the boats passing by on the water. On the Culture Center I especially liked curved roof and the covered alley towards the Ferry Terminal and along Salisbury Road.

Between the pier and the Culture Centre there were loads of bright colored rice paper lamps shaped like the animals of the different Chinese years, and there was also a huge dragon in bright yellow color that was sweeping around a gate. I was not the only one who liked the colors of the exhibition. The bright colors of the rice lamps were photographed like nothing I had seen before.

Family photo at the 1881 Heritage
Little did I know that they were even more impressive in the dark but that I would find out later day.

Just next to the colorful display the Former Kowloon-Canton Railway Clock Tower was situated. The tower is one of many famous landmarks in Hong Kong. It is the only remnant of the original site of the former Kowloon Station on the Kowloon-Canton Railway. Officially named Former Kowloon-Canton Railway Clock Tower, it is usually referred to as the Tsim Sha Tsui Clock Tower for its location.

The Clock Tower is built out of red bricks and granite, and it peaks at 44 meters, and is topped by a 7-metre lightning rod. You can reach the top of the tower using a wooden staircase but I didn’t try this.

Flowers and kitsch
The interior of Clock Tower is usually open for visit, but it can sometimes be closed for maintenance. The tower has been listed as a declared monument in Hong Kong since 1990

There are loads of shopping malls in Hong Kong but one of the more special is the 1881 Heritage. It was located on Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, near the Ferry Terminal towards the Hong Kong Island and just opposite my hotel and I decided to have a look at it..

This mall is special because it is an open area where you feel that you are just walking in the old part of Hong Kong, but a very British influenced part. There is no doubt that this is a fashionable part of the Kowloon side of Hong Kong but it is open to everyone and I found it to be a calm place to walk because everyone else were seeking to comfort of the more traditional mall in the cold winter Hong Kong.

What a looker!

The1881 Heritage is covering a quite large area with a total area of 130,000 square feet but it is an open mall and it features much more than just a shopping mall; there is also a heritage hotel, and an exhibition hall. The original site of 1881 Heritage was the headquarters of the Hong Kong Marine Police from the 1880s to 1996 and it is the beautiful restoration of the area that is the best part of this mall.

The buildings' unique Victorian architecture epitomizes its rich colonial background and it is not hard to picture the British heritage walking the ground; The Former Marine Police Headquarters Main Building, Former Stable Block, and the former Time Ball Tower were declared monuments by the Antiquities and Monuments Office in 1994, as proof of their historical significance to Hong Kong.

The Avenue of Stars 星光大道 and Hong Kong Skyline

One funny thing I read was that The Former Marine Police Headquarters Main Building actually was build in 1884 and not 1881 but the Chinese pronunciation of 1884 reminded too much of something connected with death, so they decided to change the year.

In the middle of the area there were a flower decoration that attracted lots of couples from photo shooting sessions in front of the colorful flowers that were artificial by the way. On the ground floor there were also a huge carriage many families also managed to supplement their family albums with portraits. I walked upstairs by the stairs, and just on top of the stairs the former Time Ball Tower was situated.

The Hall
The time ball imitates the performance and appearance of the original time ball established in 1885. The function of the time ball was to rise and drop at 1300 hours every day to allow the masters of ships to align their time-keepers.

Before 1907, the Ball Tower, also known as the Signal Tower, in the former Marine Police Headquarters was used to provide time signals to ships in Victoria Harbor 1. The existing time ball mounted on the pole above the domed roof of the Time Ball Tower is similar to time balls in Britain, New Zealand and Australia. The tradition of dropping the time ball at 1pm every day is now alive at 1881 Heritage.

In 2009 the Time Ball Tower was renovated and had the Time Ball mechanism replaced. As the original time ball was removed without a trace several decades ago, they had to create a new design based on surviving time balls in other parts of the world.

The harbor towards Hong Kong Island

Next to the Time Ball Tower was a typhoon mast where signals were raised manually during typhoons. The opening hours are from 10am - 10pm daily. I walked to whole area before I decided that I would return towards Canton Road and therefore headed back the Ferry Terminal.

I followed the Pier towards the huge mall named Harbor City. During my walk I really liked the views that I was looking at and it reminded me a bit about Shanghai and walking along the waterfront there. One of the things that I really had looked forward to in my week in Hong Kong was the Hong Kong Skyline. Unfortunately there was not one single day or evening without fog or clouds; it was a week with cold damp weather but there is only one cure for this and that is to come back.

Along the Pier I smiled at the huge Cruise ship that was docked next to the Harbor City Mall an I could only smile on how convenient it was to have the cruise passengers convert to customers by steeping out directly into a mall.

The harbor towards Hong Kong Island

Inside the mall I immediately found out where all the people were! They were all out shopping the last bargains of the sale that had been running since end of December, while they were hiding from the cold weather outside. The clothing shops were fairly full but the electronic shops were completely packed and especially the section with phones. The quest for next generation of Smart-phones would never end. There was only one thing that I found really interesting and that was the pocket-Wi-Fi but it was sold out everywhere. I found that to be a brilliant idea for travellers in a big city.

I was longing for a cup of coffee and a small bite of something but I could not find any places to visit but after a quick enquiry at the info desk I was told that the third floor would fulfill my needs.

The harbor towards Hong Kong Island
  I ended up in a Starbucks; not very ingenious but I needed a good cup of coffee and I didn’t feel like being experimental. The Starbucks was really small and not that busy when I arrived but it was getting close to lunchtime and while I was sitting there it slowly became full.

I left the mall after having visited some electronic shops and headed to the hotel, where I needed to pick up jacket because the weather turned to the worse; it was getting colder and the wind was picking up.

I had no idea or plan on where to go after this, I was just having a first look & feel of the magnificent place, a place that I had dream about visiting since many years. I walked by the Cultural Centre and passed both the Space Center and the Hong Kong Art Museum, with the majestic Peninsula Hotel on the other side, a place that I had to visit as well later.

I NEED CASH

I went down to the water and the one of the best places to have a view towards the Hong Kong Island Skyline: the Avenue of Stars. The avenue is inspired of the Hollywood Walk of Fame and honors celebrities of the Hong Kong film industry. There is not much action happening on the avenue as such but it has the must spectacular views overlooking the skyline on the opposite side of the river and the action going on at the river itself. The river is quite busy so there is much activity going on to watch; loads of small boats are passing, ferries, tankers and cruise-ships are all passing there.

The Avenue of Stars is located along the Victoria Harbour waterfront in Tsim Sha Tsui, but you can hardly avoid it if you walk along the Kowloon coastline from the Ferry Terminal and towards the Intercontinental Hotel.

Boats in the water

It was okay weather while I was walking the stretch but the view towards Hong Kong Island was unfortunately not clear that day or I should say that week. Even so it was a great calm walk and hundreds of other tourist had the same opinion as me, because most of the people I met were smiling and looked like they had a good time. It was a great place.

As I entered from the Salisbury Garden, a 4.5-metre-tall replica of the statuette given to winners at the Hong Kong Film Awards greeted me; I had no idea at the time what it was but it looked like something from the Olympic Games. The promenade that is only 440-meter brings you through the story of Hong Kong's one hundred years of cinematic history and it is told through inscriptions printed on nine red pillars facing the water.

The bus station
There are a number of nice sculptures on the promenade as well, but I must say that the walk past Hotel Intercontinental was the highlight of the walk, because there are here great views whereever you turn your head.

Like at the famous Hollywood Walk of Fame in Hollywood there are plaques honoring the movie celebrities. Some plaques contain prints of the celebrities’ hands and autographs set in cement, but most of the plaques only contain the celebrities' names as they are now deceased. A 2.5 meter bronze statue of Bruce Lee was erected along the Avenue of Stars in 2005 and was a really popular photo object to be shot together with; there was a long queue of tourist getting ready to pose.

At the end of the avenue I was looking for a place where I could have a beer and get some warmth back in my body.

The colorful ferries
I ended up inside the Deck n’ Beer, which is the last bar you pass before the promenade ends, if you pass it. I went there because I found the bar quite attractive from the outside and the only other alternative was a Starbuck and I didn't feel for more coffee even though it was so cold. The Deck n' Beer bar has a huge outdoor area with numerous chairs and tables surrounding the little bar, but all were empty this day. Seen from above it must look like a spider web with the spider in the middle.

Due to the strong wind and the lack of sunshine I decided to have a beer inside hanging in the bar even though I have to say that it was not much warmer inside as the bar had huge open glass doors.  The bar had 3 guys working there; all of them nice and service minded and also carrying large black framed glasses and the same hairdo; almost like clones.

Hong Kong Island
It was quite funny; it was like they were from the same boy band! As we were very few people in the bar they were over us as hawks every time we needed something.

The bar had a good selection of different beers and I ended up tasting a beer that I had not tasted before; the Yebisu. I ended up talking to an American pilot that also was hanging in the bar; he was flying cargo around the world and were heading for Russia and Alaska the following day; we had a great talk and one beer took another. On a warm day or just a sunny day I am sure that this place would be packed, because there was a great view over the water and the Avenue of Stars.

I crossed the Salisbury Road via the pedestrian bridge that provided me with a stunning view of the bay and the bar where I just had spend a couple of hours.

New Year on the way
On the other side of the road there was one of these nice small parks that felt like breathe holes in this otherwise hectic city. The park was built on top of Tsim Sha Tsui East (Mody Road) transport interchange and was anyway quite empty and clean with only a few people walking around and even fewer sitting enjoying the views. It was pretty cold and the rain was almost breaking through the sky, so I moved on.

I followed the park along Salisbury Road and ended up in Middle Road Children's Playground that is located on the shore side of Signal Hill Garden. The playground was as many other places a small park with some colorful figures for the children to crawl on. Surrounding the playground there were nice benches from where you could enjoy your lunch away from the hectic roads.

Rice paper lamps ready for the CNY celebration

The flowers and plants were all kept very nicely and it was very neat. There were even though we were in the wintertime still flowers blooming and I could only imagine how busy a park like this would be in the summertime or at least when it would be a bit warmer.

The playground park had a nice system of paths, all well kept with a load of benches. The whole area was situated on first or second floor level and had lifts system to help people to get up there along with stairs. Looking from outside this park must have been pretty costly to establish and maintain.

I walked further on towards the 1881 Heritage when it started to rain and everybody tried to find shelter. I ended up in the metro entrance together with loads of other people. The only ones that kept on moving onwards were the ones with umbrellas.

Rice paper lamps ready for the CNY celebration
Luckily the rain faded away pretty fast and I moved further on towards my hotel to have a short rest.

A hot shower later I went out from the hotel ready to face Hong Kong by night or at least in the evening. I headed for the harbor because I wanted the see the Skyline in the dark. There were still many people on the streets and I followed the crowd heading for the Ferry Terminal and especially the Rice Lamp display celebrating the Chinese New Year. In the evening these figures were even more impressive.

I went up on the plateau next to The Clock Tower and had there an excellent view of Hong Kong Island and the colorful figures next to the Cultural Centre. I had again hoped that the weather would clear up but there were no change in the weather.

I left towards the inner city on the Kowloon side that was lit up like a better Las Vegas with commercials everywhere; most of the shops were in this part of the city still open during the evening.

The Star Ferry Terminal
I was after a while looking for something to eat and I passed many places that looked interesting but I decided to go for sushi.

When I finally decided for sushi, it was only due to the fact that was choosing between the availability at the doors of Itacho Sushi and Mes Amis both in Ashley Road. I entered at narrow hall that lead to a blocked door of Itacho Sushi. Without being able to read any of the instructions on the wall next to the entrance I pushed a bell button and the wall slid to the side. Mr. Bond was back in town.

A waiter greeted me and I was directed to a table where I was seated. There was no instruction in order to make the ordering process work. I looked into a large stack of papers in a plastic holder on table without getting the system right away.

Bench at the Terminal

Finally I understood that I needed to get a menu from one of the other tables. Opening this I found pictures of different kinds of food with numbers on. There were 5 different ordering papers that went for an interval of the menu. In making my order I had to deliver 4 different colored papers to the waiter in order to make my complete order but I had also stretched it because there were so much great food.

I started with a crab miso soup and edamame or soya beans. After this I had some wagyu beef tataki with ponzu sauce, followed by some fat tuna. After that I went for salmon eggs in salmon, fly fish eggs, squid, salmon eggs and a small sashimi plate. For drinks I had a couple of Japanese beers and some hot sake; is there a need to say that I was full after this.

Cruising Hong Kong

The food was exquisite and I could eat this every day for a very long time. The restaurant interior was a bit boring but that was also the only flaw I could identify. Having paid 400 HK$ for the fabulous meal I was feeling to good to go back to the hotel, I guess that the hot sake that I had together with my dinner was making a difference.

I decided to go to Mes Amis in order to see what they could offer. Inside the bar the light was almost entirely red from the Chines red rice lamps. The bar was pretty fun and the music was ear catching with RUN DMC, AC/DC and other old classics. I ordered a Carlsberg and found a bar chair in the back of the room with a great view of the bar.

There was a great ambiance inside and after my second beer I went for a chair in the bar and I actually ended up having so much fun that I was there when the bar closed at 3 am.

The harbor
It was an easy place to talk to the other guests and I met some great local guys and one of the cousins from New Jersey.

After the bar had closed I walked home along the empty streets and I was back at the hotel around 3.30 am and I was pretty tired again.

Koralifix says:
Congrats on having this colourful blog featured, Christian! Good on you.
Posted on: Feb 14, 2012
Posted on: Feb 11, 2012
Supplies
Supplies
Rice paper lamps ready for the CN…
The harbor area getting ready for …
The harbor area getting ready for…
A piece of art in front of Hong Ko…
A piece of art in front of Hong K…
The rice paper figures
Wonderful colors
AirCo were added
AirCo' were added
Hong Kong Museum of Art
The Canton Road seen from the harb…
The Canton Road seen from the har…
Working with goods
Nature in Hong Kong
Nature in Hong Kong
Bamboo building
Bamboo building
Look at the mess in that place!
Look at the mess in that place!
In for a ride?
Guns of Hong Kong
Guns of Hong Kong
Street life
Street life
Closed but I was passing anyway!
Closed but I was passing anyway!
I am ready!
Wall commercial
Wall commercial
Tourist spotting
Tourist spotting
Flowers in front of Hong Kong Muse…
Flowers in front of Hong Kong Mus…
Art in front of Hong Kong Museum …
The front of Hong Kong Museum of A…
The front of Hong Kong Museum of …
Full speed ahead
A large Asahi at Deck n Beer
A large Asahi at Deck n' Beer
The maritime bar at Deck n Beer
The maritime bar at Deck n' Beer
The maritime interior at Deck n B…
The maritime interior at Deck n' …
A Nebisu at Deck n Beer
View towards Deck n Beer
View towards Deck n' Beer
Salisbury Road
Salisbury Road
Salisbury Road that goes along the…
Salisbury Road that goes along th…
Fountain in the park
Nice lamps
Nice lamps
Street lamps
Street lamps
Nice green street at Signal Hill P…
Nice green street at Signal Hill …
Happy New Year
Happy New Year
Well, what can I do then!
Well, what can I do then!
Colors
The Hotel
My Hotel
My Hotel
Kowloon Sights & Attractions review
Nice place to watch and wonder
If you follow the park system along Salisbury Road from the end of the Avenue of Stars you will end the park walk at the Middle Road Children's Playgr… read entire review
Kowloon Nightlife & Entertainment review
Nice place with a great view
If you are walking to the end of The Avenue of Stars, the Deck n’ Beer is the last bar you pass before the promenade ends, if you pass it. I didn’… read entire review
Kowloon Sights & Attractions review
Something different in the harbor
The Former Kowloon-Canton Railway Clock Tower is another landmark in Hong Kong. It is located on the southern shore of Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon and you … read entire review
Great and fabulous colors
One of the more striking displays in celebrating the Chinese New Year in Hong Kong was the display of colorful rice lamps near the Ferry Terminal of K… read entire review
Kowloon Sights & Attractions review
Quite amazing even in cloudy weather
One of the things that I really had looked forward to in my week in Hong Kong was the Hong Kong Skyline. Unfortunately there was not one single day or… read entire review
Kowloon Nightlife & Entertainment review
Nice bar with great bartenders and ambiance
After a huge sushi dinner in a neighboring restaurant I needed a beer before I headed back to the hotel. 15 meters from the restaurant there were two … read entire review
A part of the history
The former Time Ball Tower was declared monument by the Antiquities and Monuments Office in 1994, as proof of it historical significance to Hong Kong.… read entire review
Kowloon Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
The best sushi I ever had!
I was walking in the area of my hotel looking for something to eat; the only thing I had eaten all day was some snacks in a Starbucks café around lun… read entire review
Kowloon Sights & Attractions review
A part of the British heritage
There are loads of shopping malls in Hong Kong but one of the more special is the 1881 Heritage. It is located on Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, near the… read entire review
Kowloon Sights & Attractions review
Nice walk with great views
One of the best places to have a view towards the Hong Kong Island Skyline is from the Avenue of Stars 星光大道. The avenue is inspired of the Hol… read entire review
Kowloon