Yes... we got there!

Kribi Travel Blog

Residence Michel

It is a Tuesday morning, the day on which we were supposed to be in Cameroon already since two days. But we are not.

It is bright sunny day in depressing Le Mesnil-Amelot near Paris CdG, and everything looks a bit happier this morning. We have all the time we want, because our flight will only leave by 2 p.m. so we have a late breakfast, buffet style, but much more choice than the average French petit-dejeuner. And the espresso is good! Life isn't so bad, even with two days delay...

We both decide to still work in our rooms a bit in the morning, before we have to check out and take the shuttle.

Paris CdG airport is what it is, but because it is such a sunny day I won't say too much negative about it. In the area where most flights to Africa seem to leave, there are quite a few shops, and yes, we also have to shop.

Residence Michel

Because there will be people picking us up, driving us from Douala to Kribi, we will meet Jo's relatives. We will meet some local officials in his hometown, including a mayor. So we need whiskey. Much whiskey. Well, this part of the airport is definitely equipped to fulfill that need. And unlike Amsterdam, there is no maximum number of bottles that they will sell to you. Apart from the six or so bottles of whiskey, we also buy Bailey's for the ladies and chocolates, yet for other ladies. I am amazed, are they allowing us to bring all that tax free stuff into Cameroon? But Jo says yes, and so says the sales guy. So, I let myself happily be advised by my travel partner. We almost get ourselves a hernia, carrying so much booze around.

The flight is very uneventful and calm, and takes about six hours.

Residence Michel
By 8:30 p.m. we land in Douala. That does not mean that we are on our way very quickly. The immigration takes some time, but because I am travelling with Jo I get no questions and I already knew I'd better put no banknotes inside my passport. Of course the big question is if our bags will be there, after all the flight and schedule changes and two days of delay. But yes, there they are!

Outside, the two guys from Kribi are waiting for us. It is steaming hot outside, and I start sweating and not a little bit. We get to the car, surrounded by a lot of young kids that want to carry the luggage, show the way, or just want money.

Once we drive outside the airport it is very dark, and with some detours we get to the highway to Edea. Well.

Residence Michel
.. highway. That is a matter of definition. It is a two lane road. And we are still in the Douala agglomeration, so this is hell. Literally. I have never, anywhere in the world, seen such a complete traffic chaos.

Trucks, taxis, mopeds, logging trailers, container trucks, buses, all drive in four lanes next to each other, most without any light, and try to literally push each other from the road. And that in two directions! Not one direction on the one side and the other direction on the other side of course. Oh no, why would you?

We see cars being stranded diagionally between four directions of traffic, the driver trying to give full throttle and ram into other cars, and six policemen pushing him back on the front side (who will be stronger, who will die?).

Residence Michel

Through all the fumes and smoke I can almost see the silhouettes of the prostitutes and the fruit sales people along the road (it was misty in Amsterdam but this...?).

But finally, after we have passed a bridge under construction, we are out of the city, and on our way! The road ahead is (almost) empty. By then it is almost midnight. We buy cookies at a gas station, and water, and by 1:15 a.m. we drive into Kribi. And guess what... we even manage to find a place where we can have dinner. Fish of course. This is Kribi.

Late, very late, we make it to our accommodation. A small bungalow resort called Residence Michel. We made it!

westwind57 says:
By the time you're planning for it, let me know if you need more info, because it was owned by, and booked through someone in my brother-in-law's family
Posted on: Jan 10, 2013
bigmac993 says:
Nice accommodation! I will keep that in my Bucket List folder as I plan to go to Kribi on one of my trips there.
Posted on: Jan 10, 2013
Chokk says:
The residence looks pretty nice ;D
Posted on: Jan 30, 2012
Kribi Hotels & Accommodations review
pretty, convenient and small bungalow resort, 300 meters from the beach
A small scale bungalow resort (6 units), in an enclosed compound. Safe and convenient. Neatly built bungelows, each with a veranda, a comfortable livi… read entire review
Kribi