Fernandina Beach and Home

Atlanta Travel Blog

Kingsley Plantation

Getting up this morning was a little sad. This was my last day in North Florida. Fittingly, it was only 30 degrees this morning.

I returned to the Beach Diner for a last breakfast. I really like this place.

After breakfast, I headed north toward Fernandina beach. My first stop, however, was in jacksonville -- Kingsley Plantation. This was a fitting place to spend on martin luther King Day, because most of this plantation monument is a recognition of the impact of slavery on Florida. Amos Kingsley, the plantation master, ironically was a slave trader who married one of his slaves and made her the mistress of his plantation under forced to remove her from Florida as a result of American laws forbidding interracial marriage. The house remains as do the foundations and walls a number of the slave cabins.

Fort Clinch
This was a very moving place.

From Kingsley Plantation I drove up A1A to Fernandina Beach and Fort Clinch. Fort Clinch was the fort built by the US army at the northernmost spot in Florida. the fort faces onto the St. Mary's River and Georgia. Fort Clinch was never actually completed. At the start of the Civil War, it was occupied by Confederate forces, though Union forces recaptured the fort in 1862. It has been restored to look much the way it looked in 1864 when Union forces occupied the fort. The fort is part of the Florida state park system.

Leaving Fort Clinch, I headed into downtown Fernandina Beach. I walked through the business district, which is quaint and attractive. I ate a lunch of chicken fajitas at Pablo's Cantina in downtown Fernandina BEach.

After lunch it was on to Jacksonville Airport for the flight back to Atlanta. Security at the airport was typical, but apparently a number of travellers are not used to it. I was also pleased to see that Delta finally began to enforce the limit on carry-on luggage. A woman tried to board the plane with at least four pieces of luggage and got irate when she was not allowed on the plane. It was nice to see.

Fort Clinch
slave quarters at Kingsley Planta…
slave quarter's at Kingsley Plant…
Fernandina Beach