A rainy day of sightseeing

London Travel Blog

When we woke up I noticed that the rain was gone and although there were some clouds, it looked like it was going to be a bright (maybe even a shiny) day.

We were a bit hungry so we headed of towards the restaurant and when we arrived it looked like we weren't the only ones. It was almost completely filled with guests and we managed to find ourselfs a place in the vicinity of some schoolkids.

The breakfast area felt a bit like being back in school again and was clearly adapted to large groups. In order to get breakfast you needed to go and get yourself a plate and simply ... walk the line!

There was plenty to choose from to be honest. The main waiting line was in front of the hot dishes where the famous English breakfast was being served, but besides that, there was also lots of bread, cheese/jam, yoghurt, some fruit and cereals, hot and cold beverages.

cool taxi if you ask me

Because my taste for potatoes, fried tomatoes, bacon, sausages not even mentioning beans ... isn't what it should be in the morning ... I just took some bread and tried a little bit of the egg and together with some cereals, fruit and yoghurt it was more than enough. In a way I was a happy camper cuz all I needed was provided for.

After our sturdy breakfast we were ready to go and visit all the main "attractions" of the city, but first we bought a ticket at the hotel office for our hop on / hop off coach. Yesterday evening we noticed that the metro was quite expensive and because the coach companies made special winter deals  ... we were more than convinced to go and ride that big double-decker bus.

So with our ticket in the palm of our hands we headed to the nearest bus stop just a few minutes away from our hotel.

British Museum
This turned out to be the British Museum, but because we had so much to see and so little time, we skipped this visit and got on the bus. After our ticket was validated, we received some cool red earpieces and of we went for our busride along the main sightseeings of London.

In the neighbourhood of Piccadilly Circus, to be more precise, at Leicester Square we said "adieu" to our bus. Because we almost got frostbite from sitting upstairs, we wanted to get off and walk a little when we suddenly noticed this cool M&M shop and with all the nice colours ... how could we not go and make a short stopover at this place and at the same time catch a little warmth as well. When I was a kid I liked this candy, but I have to admit that it has been several years since I tasted it and I must say that I was surprised of all the different colours and gadgets they sell in the store .

where are we!?
.. it still shows that the chocolate industry is and always will be good for business!! :)

From here we walked all the way towards Trafalgar Square were it was time to go and look for something to eat. Time flies when you are having fun and this really was the case, because time was flying by ... so very fast actually. We found ourselfs a coffeeshop and after a good cup of tea and something small to eat we slowly walked towards the river Thames.

When we reached the horse guards, the first raindrops came forth and sadly enough they never went away. But we didn't mind too much and after taking a glimpse at Downing Street, home of the Prime Minister, we saw a few of the famous bobbies and from here we slowly walked further down the road when all of a sudden Big Ben appeared together with the Houses of Parliament, one heck of an impressive building or is it buildings?

We crossed the Westminster Bridge and walked towards the London Eye.

one of the many theatres
We had a voucher for this attraction, but the closer we got, the more people we saw. It seemed hopeless at first but once we changed our voucher into a valid ticket with time indication we had to wait half an hour before we could go and belief it or not ... wait in line AGAIN in order to go and get on the Eye. Although the waiting line is very long, it actually works and within half an hour we were almost in front of the Eye. We hoped that it would stop raining when we were in our capsule but sadly enough this didn't happen. Although I was a bit anxious because of my fear of heights, in the end it was quite nice and I enjoyed the views immensely.

It started to rain a bit harder now and we decided to go and get another bus which could bring us towards the tower.

From here you could join a Jack The Ripper walk and it seemed a nice thing to do and fill up our evening. When we finally got a bus and reached the tower, the weather had changed into showers and even worse ... we missed our walk because of the continiously stopping of the bus as well as the traffic jams. The only thing we could do was stay inside the bus and drive along the designated line and most important ... enjoy the view.

Sadly enough it got dark really early so the only thing we could do was listen to the explanation of the various buildings because the views were gone and finally we decided to call it quits and we hopped off at Leicester Square once again. Tania remembered from her last visit to London a few years back, that Covent Garden was a nice place to go for a bite to eat and because we were hungry we headed into that direction.

After a while it started to rain even harder and because it seemed we were still a few blocks away from this area we decided to go inside an Italian restaurant. It was quite busy inside and after a few table changes we finally got the soup we ordered and afterwards a nice pasta dish. It was all hot and delicious, what more do you need.

All warmed up we decided to go ahead with our original plan which was to go and find the market place in Covent Garden. When we wanted to pay our bill, we handed over some 20 pound notes to the waitress and once again we got a strange look when we handed over the money. It seemed that the notes I bought just 2 years back to go on my trip to Scotland, suddenly weren't valid anymore.

It seemed these were already old notes!? Why oh why is this happening to us??? Did we do something wrong in our previous life(s)???  Fortunately for us they accepted credit cards, so we weren't doomed to do the washing-up all night long! :)

Once outside it stopped raining and the search towards Covent Garden was still on. We walked through several small lanes, stopped and went to have a look at various shoe shops and finally we reached the market place. The people were already cleaning up there stands and we decided to come back tomorrow when the shops were open.

It was already late in the evening but we noticed that we weren't so very far away from our hotel so ... with a map in our hands we managed to find our way back to the hotel and after a nice hot shower we were both exhausted and eager to close our eyes.

pure nostalgia
pure nostalgia
I just love this candy
I just love this candy
nice colours
nice colours
the laboratory
"the laboratory"
the only beefeater we saw ... just…
the only beefeater we saw ... jus…
king Yellow ???
king Yellow ???
the National Gallery
the National Gallery
the countdown to the olympic / par…
the countdown to the olympic / pa…
London Eye
beginning of the ride
beginning of the ride
great views
great views
maybe it is safer when I sit down …
maybe it is safer when I sit down…
almost at the end