Crossing the North Sea

London Travel Blog

our train at St. Pancras Station

The last few weeks were flying by so very fast and just like Tania I was really looking forward to our upcoming citybreak when all of a sudden something tragic happened. Sadly enough Tania's grandfather past away. My heart went out to my fellow travel buddy as well as to her mum because I know how much they loved their granddad and dad. As the week was passing by and the date of the funeral was set, the decision came wether or not to go on this trip. In the end we chose to go.

We agreed to meet eachother at the trainstation of Berchem early in the morning. From here we took the local train to Brussels and before we knew it we arrived in Brussel Midi. It was still a bit early to go and wait in line for the usual procedure of checking passports and bags, so we headed towards a coffeeshop and ordered something warm to drink in these cold days.

When it was time to leave, we headed for our train, which was already waiting for us .... how sweet! :)

We found our seats very quickly and as soon as we were installed we noticed the family in front of us. To say the least, we couldn't even ignore them because of all the noise! The kids "occupied" with the three of them the 4 seats before us, their parents took the 4 seats next to their children. They seemed to have brought lots of luggage which was scattered throughout the remaining seats. We were already wondering what would happen when we arrive in Lille, our second stop on the way towards London.

The kids turned out to be spoiled little brads with their Nintendo and iPods and what the heck more they brought along for a 2 hours journey.

Harrods
The little view that we had was soon gone because the boy couldn't deal with the fact that light was shining on his game and together with the noice and the continiously thumping of his seat, we were counting the minutes to get of the train.

Strangely enough the parents didn't do a thing! When I was a child I had to listen to my parents and behave, but I guess nowadays that isn't necessary anymore ... welcome into the modern way of life!

Because we couldn't enjoy the wonderfull landscape of Belgium through our window we decided to have a look at our travel guides and look up all the things we wanted to see.

Before we knew it our luck was going to change as we arrived at Lille, our final station on this side of the water!

Lots of people started to get on the train and surprise, surprise our family of 5 which were divided over 8 seats had to leave to their own seats, they even had the nerve to sit in someone else's seat! But to my surprise they didn't even make a fuss and disappeared to the end of the train.

without words!
Finally we had some peace and quiet!

When everyone was seated, the train moved onwards and about 1.5 hours later we arrived in St. Pancras station. London here we come!

We noticed that our hotel wasn't very far from the trainstation, so we went on foot and about a half hours later we were standing in front of our "residence" for the next couple of days.

Check-in went very smoothly as well as taking the elevator and before we knew it we were on the right floor, but finding our room turned out to be a little more difficult. After taking a couple of wrong turns we finally managed to find it.  The room itself wasn't very big with two small beds but to our surprise the bathroom was even smaller, but who cares ... the room was clean and we weren't going to use it all the time.

After a quick lunch we headed towards Oxford Street, THE shopping street of London. Tania arranged to get a good deal from her office in London so we decided to pay them a visit and in the mean time pay all of our debths as well. Yasmine, one of Tania's colleagues was happy to see her again and we made acquaintance with the entire group.

Our goal today was to visit Harrods. We hadn't got much time to do lots of stuff because we made reservations to go and see a musical which started at 19h30.

It was already starting to get dark when we arrived at this famous store and we directly headed of to the foodsection. This wasn't easy to find because of the sales which were going on, but we managed to get there. The reason why we wanted to see this section is because a famous chef in Belgium visited this place during his trip to London and it looked really great.

the Egyptian room ... it comes with a price

After seeing all that delicious food we slowly got hungry and when we came along some delicious looking juices we also became thirsty so ... we took a few and walked towards the counter to pay our drinks when suddenly something funny happened.

We wanted to pay and proudly gave the cashier some pocket money together with a one pound note ... for some reason she looked strangely at us. We asked if something was wrong and after a few minutes someone told us that the note wasn't valid anymore. The women behind the counter didn't even seen such a note in whole her life! Looks like it was older than she was! :)

When we were back on the street it was already dark and we needed to go back towards the hotel. Our theatre was situated only a block away from it.

As it got later and later, we became more than a bit hungry. Every restaurant that we passed was full with people. It seemed like every tourist in the city had the same idea like us ... looking for something delicious to eat.

Walking down Oxford Street wasn't a great idea either because the only thing we saw were fast food chains, not our idea of a good meal. In the end we decided to have a quick look at a department store and found something to eat. When in Britain ... we got our first meal in style, fish and chips with peas.

It started to rain when we got outside Harrods and sadly enough when we left the department store it was still raining. We walked all the way back towards the theatre and saw already lots of people waiting in front of the door.

on our way to the foodsection

Because we had a voucher we had to go and change this for an entrance ticket. We didn't had to wait a long time and just a few minutes later we were on our way towards our designated seats and ready to rock!

The musical "We will rock you!" was very funny but at the same time very weird. We all know of course the songs of Queen, but how on earth do you make a musical of it!?

The music itself was very loud, especially when the GaGa Girls and Boys were singing but as soon as the "key players" arrived it was fine. My favourites were Scaramouche and the Killer Queen. It seemed that most of the audience was there to hear Galileo sing, even the girl sitting next to me who became almost crazy when they anounced his name (Alex Gaumond). We were a bit clueless and I have to admit that the guy can sing, but I liked the ladies the most!

The producer did a great job because towards the end everyone was singing along!

Although it wasn't allowed to take pictures I saw alot of flashes in the audience so I secretly tried to take a few as well .

bring it on ... me like it all!
.. but my crazy fan next to me didn't like it, so ... I put my camara away and enjoyed one more song! :)

The show was really great and I can recommend it to everyone, but as soon as it was finished we went back to our hotel for a well deserved rest. We both were very tired after such a long day!

Ils1976 says:
me as well! :D
Posted on: Jan 16, 2014
HelenP says:
A pound note.. Now that takes me back!
Posted on: Jan 15, 2014
Ils1976 says:
Het is efkes diep nadenken, maar dan komt het wel terug. Ben nu met dag 2 bezig, maar da kan ook nog wel efkes duren! :)

Ik zou willen dat het hier wa meer busy, busy was, maar helaas ... ik zal maar zwijgen, want binnen een paar maand is het hier ook zover!
En ja hoor .. laat december maar komen! *lol*
Posted on: Feb 01, 2012
without words!
the Egyptian room ... it comes wit…
the Egyptian room ... it comes wi…
bring it on ... me like it all!
glassy and yummy greasy ... donuts!
glassy and yummy greasy ... donuts!
delicious sandwiches
nice sculpture
nice sculpture
love the lights
love the lights
when in London, surely one musical…
when in London, surely one musica…
London