You Better Belize It!! Day One

Ambergris Caye Travel Blog

Views from the plane

So when my homegirl told me about their plans to hit Belize months ago, I prepped immediately. It was in the middle of winter which is the perfect time to get the hell out of Dodge, I already knew that I had more vacation time to use up by March, I had a $600 credit from Delta I needed to use by June 2012, and I dreamed of visiting Belize ever since I started getting babysat in the 1stgrade by the Belizean family that lived across the street from me. All the signs pointed to GO.

The vacation started from plane with beautiful views of the Caribbean Sea. The shades of blue and green looked like oil paintings that you find in museums. It was one of the most captivating panoramic views I’ve ever seen.

As we land in Belize International Airport, the first stop in their tiny airport is of course… the Duty Free Liquor Store! We bought two 1-liter Absolut bottles and one 750ml Passoa Passion Fruit Liqueur for less than $50.

The US Dollar to Belizean Dollar conversion was serving us right already.

After we leave the airport with our alcohol in toe, we hop in a cap to take us the Water Taxi heading to the island of San Pedro. We cram ourselves and our bags into the non-air conditioned cab and was delightfully greeted by the heat of the Belizean sun. Our driver gives us a bit of a mini tour on the way to the taxi while performing what seemed like death-defying stunts driving down the road. Bikes just flew in front of the taxi out of nowhere, we drove just inches past people as they walked in the street, the dips in the unpaved roads made it seem like a ride on the Cyclone in Coney Island. But as we rode, our driver tells us that he lived in Brooklyn a one point.

View from the dock
Belize is a small country so I asked him if he knew the family that I was friends with and he said he may as the surname sounds familiar. Then I threw out “You must have hit Belize Fest when you were in Brooklyn?” Immediately he said yeah with a big grin, so that got me pretty psyched.

Now it’s time for the Water Taxi to San Pedro. 30 or so people piled into this boat that was on a 1 ½ hour voyage to San Pedro with a stop in Caye Caulker, another island off the coast of Belize. We sped through the middle of the sea with a great view of the coastline.  The ride was extremely relaxing and gave us great views of the water.

We hit land and exited to the main street of the small island of San Pedro in an area called Ambergris Caye to grab a cab to our villa.

View from the balcony
You see lines of golf carts, which is the primary means of transportation across the island. We drove away from the downtown area and to the area with the private Villas and we noticed many white seniors populated the town. This definitely was the low-key retirement location for many. We pulled up to the beautiful Miramar Villas where we were staying. The owner and the property manager greeted us out front and brought us up to the 2 bedroom condo. It was an amazing accommodation with a Balcony that looked out to the endless Caribbean Sea. I couldn’t ask for a better view.  There was an infinity pool, great sanded private beach area and its own dock that took you out to what seemed like the middle of the water. What was also amazing aside from the villa itself was the fact that no one else was staying there so we had the whole property to ourselves.
Red Snapper at Mr. Joe's
We couldn’t ask for more.

By this time it was around 7pm, so we grabbed Dinner at a restaurant called Mr. Joes, right down the road from the Villa. Our waiter, Josh was awesome and welcoming and gave us pointers about where to go to enjoy the nightlife. For dinner I had the Red snapper with vegetables that was pretty awesome and enjoyed some nice cocktails to welcome in the vacation.

After dinner we settled in on our first night in Belize and were excited for what Day 2 had in store for us.

Red Snapper at Mr. Joes
Red Snapper at Mr. Joe's
Ambergris Caye Hotels & Accommodations review
Miramar Villas is located right along the water of the Caribbean Sea. It’s away from the madness of downtown and in a peaceful a serene location.… read entire review
Ambergris Caye