Bangkok tourist - day 1

Bangkok Travel Blog

Hosstel dorm

After a rather epic journey of almost 11 hours being airbourne, 2 hours checking out of the airport (the guards don't have guns! Phew!) and over an hour in the scariest taxi ride of my life I made it to the hostel. For some reason the only taxi driver on the road who did not know what road discipline means, or how to look at the road even, happened to be mine! :-) I found my foot reaching for the phantom brake on quite a few occassions.

Needless to say, I arrived in one piece :-) The hostel is spotless! No bed bugs, cockroaches or other creep crawlies that I envisaged. Lets hope this sets a precendent for all future hostels I find myself in! lol

Once I had settled in I took a stroll along Silom Road with a sweet Singaporean girl - ermm, still cannot pronounce or spell her name.

View from river taxi to Khao San Road
It sounded like Herseling... but that looks German or something?! She purchased some questionable looking chicken things - reminded me of Satay Chicken on skewers, from one of the market stands. I had to try one, despite the dubious smell! I had one mouthful and thought better of it! I will stick with the rule that if something smells dodgy, its likely to taste dodgy and have a rather dodgy "still raw" texture... Did I want to spend my first night hugging the toilet?

Luckily I avoided such a scenario and have spent today, my first full day, being a proper tourist in Bangkok with two fellow hostellers. We jumped on the sky train, which is just like the DLR, to the nearest river ferry station and coasted up the river to *** stop (will fill in the name later when my jetlagged brain gets its act together!).

We had a wonder up Khao San Road, where we were overwhelmed by colour and texture! Theres some beautiful things there. We did stop and have a bite to eat. I was the only one to order a drink that wasn't in a can and that came with ice. On being warned I promptly fished out the ice, to only then wonder whether I had now contaminated it with my hands... Never have I felt some grimy! Its what I would call a gritty city!

Once we had satiated our appetites (having lost mine somewhat after the ice incident and strange slimy sheets of what I think were noodles) we walked across to the Golden Mount, only to find we couldn't go in until 4pm. By that point I was wiped out and melting, so I repeated the journey back to the hostel and promptly passed out from exhaustion.

Roll on day 2!

p.s Does anyone else find when they are on a long haul flight that they feel an overwhelming urge to tap the stewardess on the shoulder and ask if they can pull the plane over so you can get out to stretch your legs?!

Hosstel dorm
View from river taxi to Khao San R…
View from river taxi to Khao San …
Temple of Dawn