Chrissy in the Apple Isle

Tasmania Travel Blog

Hazardous Bay

So my parents have recently purchased a house on the East Coast of Tasmania, in preparation for their retirement. Having spent my childhood growing up on the world's most beautiful beaches in WA, I always look forward to coming back there for christmas time (I am currenty living in Canberra, ie: no beach for 2.5hours). So you can imagine my slight trepidation when I realise i will now be spending christmas in Tassie.
My saving grace was that Mum and Dad's place is still right at the beach, as it always was in WA. But when you have grown up with the likes of Cottesloe Beach, Rottnest island and countless others at your doorstep, it seems any beach outside WA is already a downgrade.

Wine Glass Bay Lookout

i was absolutely taken aback by the beauty of Tasmania. I have visited Tassie once before, but that was in Winter time and the constant rain made it difficult to do anything outdoors. But Christmas in Australia is Summertime and with the weather sitting perfectly around 25degrees celcius I was able to see more of what Tasmania has to offer.

The place that most took my breath away was Hazardous Bay. Many people would know the popular Wine Glass Bay area near Coles Bay on the east coast. And I absolutely recommend taking the drive there. The lookout is about a 30minute walk (nothing too stressful) and it is a stunning view. Add to that the 20min downhill to Wine glass bay beach and you have already seen some of the World's most beautiful sights. But the real gem is if you continue to walk to Hazardous Bay. Admittedly this is a long walk, about an hour to the beach and then another 2 hours back to the carpark so you will need plenty of water, but the track is not difficult and gives some great sights over-looking the surrounding water. And i garauntee the walk is absolutely worth the Paradise you experience in Hazardous Bay.

Never have i seen such calm, chrystal clear water. I cannot possible do it justice with any description and while pictures give a glimpse into the tranquility of the bay, you really do need to see to believe.
As a bonus, christmas time is known as one of the busiest times of year for the Wine Glass Bay area, and still we had the beach to ourselves!

Absolute bliss