Kigali Travel Blog

"...So this time next week I'll be back in Munich. Strange feeling. Just now I started getting to know my way around and speak a couple of words of Kinyarwanda and am totally out of the flow from 'European' life... :-(

Whats my conclusion? what have I learnt? Whats my niew over it all? I could say a zillion things to it all...but here's one thing for starters: Life goes on.

Life goes on. More so here than anywhere I've ever been. I walk down streets and into stores; hotels; houses and restaurants where 12 years ago people were butchered and slaughtered to death. And life goes on. Whereever I go I am surrounded by people who have lost family and friends and seen their parents and children being chopped up with machetes in front of their own eyes. And life goes on. I stood on the border to Congo where a few kilometers further people are still being harassed, attacked, abused, raped and murdered. And life goes on. Everywhere I go there are police, military police and the military armed to the teeth big biiig weapons...and life goes on. The World Food Program, World Health Organisation, the GTZ, DED, BTW, Medecins sans frontiers, advocats sans frontiers, UNICEF, CARE International, World Vision and the Catholic Relief Service (only to name very few) are all here...doing the big business of international aid. And life goes on. Street children sniff glue and ask for money. And life goes on.

This list could go on forever. And guess what: Life Goes On..."