Historical Becomes Posh

Georgetown Travel Blog

M Street

Georgetown, at the end of Wisconsin Avenue in upper northwest, is a must-see if you're visitng DC.  It was one of the first areas developed in the city and many of the houses are protected under historical preservation.   The famous georgetown townhouses now sell for millions, but make a great neighborhood to live in-- you can walk to the shops, restaurants, and bars in just a few minutes.  After a slight downfall, Georgetown had really been growing in the last 10 years.  It is now home to many new boutiques and stores, and it seems that new ones pop up everyday--hands down my favorite shopping area in DC.

Restaurants to try:

Cafe' Milano on N Street.  Home to DC Eurotrash.  And I say this as a compliment.  I live in Europe and therefore when I come to DC I feel at home amongst them.  Anyways, Cafe' Milano is expensive, but the food is actually Italian, as are the owners and the clientele.

La Chaumere on M Street.  Best French in the city.  Try the onion soup.

The Guards on M Street.  Classic American and classic Georgetown.

Georgetown Suites:  1111 30th Street, just south of M Street.  This reasonably-prices hotel offers apartment'like rooms in the center of it all.  www.georgetownsuites.com

genetravelling says:
Nice Blog! Thanks for sharing this with us. I think most people just hear of DC for its murders... and some Bush guy....
Posted on: Jul 06, 2007
m49erfan says:
Great picture of the National Cathedral! I lived in DC for a summer a while back and I would go there every Sunday for church, even though I'm not religious. I agree, DC is wonderful. I love the art, the culture, the people, and the diversity. I'm so glad it is the nation's capital!
Posted on: Jul 05, 2007