The icy streets have taken their toll

Reykjavik Travel Blog

Once again, I woke up at 11.  Woops!  Unfortunately, my knees were in a lot of pain when I awoke, which is highly unusual.  I realized it was from walking on the ice the past few days, because my boots were great.  I also had quite the bruise from my icy wipeout the day before.  Regardless, I quickly showered and headed to the weekend flea market across the street from the hot dog stand.  I had been looking forward to this, because many people consider it a big attraction.  Frankly, I did not think it was that different from any other flea market I've been to.  I did find a few gifts for family members there, but declined to try the fermented shark that is sold at the market.  Thanks but no thanks.

After the flea market, I walked to Thorvaldsenbazarinn, a wool goods shop.

The dangerous sidewalks!
 There are sweater shops ALL over the city centre, selling both machine-made and hand-made wool sweaters, hats, gloves, and scarves.  I knew I wanted to buy a sweater while I was in Reykjavik, and was disappointed to see that they ranged in price from about 14,000kr to 22,000kr.  So expensive!  During the walking tour the day before, though, the tour guide had mentioned that this particular store was different from the others.  Women in the country hand knitted the sweaters, then donated them to the Thorvaldsenbazarinn, where all profits went to charity (typically a children's hospital).  I knew I'd be splurging on a sweater, so this seemed to be the place to go.
Statue outside the National Gallery
 The sales person was extremely helpful, and assisted me as I tried on five or six sweaters.  We settled on a very pretty white one with a blue and green design around the neck, for 15,500kr (about $120).  This would be far and away my biggest expenditure of the trip, but totally worth it.

From there, I braved the icy sidewalks to make my way to the Icelandic National Gallery.  About four blocks of sidewalk took me 20-30 minutes!  I was in a terrible mood by the time I arrived, but the exhibit was lovely.  Only two rooms were open to viewing, and it was a lovely introduction to native artwork of the 20th century.  Upstairs was a little cafe where a man had a variety of soup, and I had a delicious bowl of Tex-Mex soup with actual beans in it!  It was also garnished with sour cream, cheese, avocado, and red onions.  Yum.

After a hazardous walk back to the main drag from the museum, I was completely done with the icy sidewalks for the day.  I headed back to Our House and read for awhile.  I popped to the shop to get veggie soup ingredients, then made a big pot of yummy curry soup that lasted the rest of my stay.  Two Indian girls had arrived at the guest house the night before, and they had been on a Golden Circle tour all day.  When they came back, we sat around and chatted for a few hours, comparing US, European and Indian cultures before heading to bed.

toweroffurniture1013 says:
The name was Thorvaldsenbazarinn and it was at the corner of Austurstraeti and Velfusund, at Ingolfstorg square. The shop had a dark green exterior. :) Have a great time on your trip to Iceland in March!
Posted on: Jan 15, 2012
wagslikeadog says:
Do you remember the name and whereabouts of the shop you bought your sweater from? (Nice blog so far!) cheers
Posted on: Jan 14, 2012
Statue outside the National Gallery
My soup never foams like this at h…
My soup never foams like this at …
Reykjavik