Lazy Rainy Day...

Reykjavik Travel Blog

Large, working light house

One thing I was looking forward to about being on vacation was lazing about and reading in cafes...which is exactly what I did on Sunday.  I spent a few hours in Babalu, reading and drinking tea, then grabbed some vegetarian lunch and wrote postcards at Graenn Kostur.  It was the perfect day for it, because it was raining off and on all day.

I had also been trying to go on a Northern Lights tour since I arrived, particularly through GTI (Gateway to Iceland), a smaller tour company.  Once again, they canceled their Northern Lights tour for the evening due to the weather and overcast skies.  The Indian girls returned to the house in the evening after a disappointing Southern Coast tour, and said that Iceland Excursions (a bigger company) was still going out to look for the Northern Lights.

No Northern Lights :(
 I decided to seize the opportunity and go with them, rather than wait for GTI.

A shuttle picked us up at the house at 7:30, then took us to the sales office to buy our tickets and get onto a bigger tour bus.  There were two bus loads going together, and we went first to the Keflavik airport to use the toilets, then to the Reykjanes peninsula, where the skies were supposed to be clear from 9:00PM to midnight.  We were truly at the edge of the peninsula, right on the shores of the sea.  The scene was very picturesque, with two large lighthouses and the waves lapping the shore.  There was also an extremely strong, extremely cold wind blowing off the ocean right at us.  Frankly, it was pretty miserable.  And after two hours or more of waiting...we headed back to Reykjavik without seeing any Northern Lights.  It was rather disappointing, especially for the Indian girls because it was their last night.  Luckily for me, the company will take you out for free another night if you don't see the lights (most tour companies offer this).

No Northern Lights :(
A very picturesque light house!
A very picturesque light house!
Reykjavik