Hold on to your hats, it's a blizzard!

Reykjavik Travel Blog

Lobster soup at Saegreifinn

The wind did blow. And blow and blow and blow.  The wind made it difficult to sleep, blowing and whistling and shaking the house.  I waited until it was light out before trying to leave the guest house...the wind was intimidating but I did not want to sit around inside all day.  I decided it was the day to go up in the Hallgrímskirkja to see the view.  Unfortunately, I never made it to the door!  The wind was so strong that I had to hold on to a banister to NOT be blown away.  I made my way out of the big open space and back-tracked to the streets, where there was some shelter from the wind.  I walked to one of the three affiliated Reykjavik Art Museums, the Hafnarhus museum.

Grilled shrimp skewer
 There was only one exhibit available to view, an Icelandic artist named Erró.  The exhibit was a very interesting timeline of the (still living) artist's work, from his childhood to present.  I liked it a lot.  The ticket also granted me entry in the other two branches of the Reykjavik Art Museum, but due to the wind, I never made it to the other museums.

Hungry, I then made my way to Saegreifinn, or The Sea Baron.  I had been looking forward to trying the lobster soup.  Due to the weather, the small restaurant was empty almost the entire time I was there.  The soup was good, but nothing to write home about.  The lobster in the soup was incredibly tender, basically melted in my mouth.  I also had a skewer of grilled shrimp, which was delicious.

The weather had calmed slightly, so I decided to chance it and try to get to the Holavallagardur cemetary, which is right next to the big lake in Reykjavik, and not far from Saegreifinn.  As I was walking in the general direction, the wind and snow picked up considerably.  In other words...I could barely see two feet in front of my face.  I spent about 20 minutes wandering around in teh direction I thought I should go just to get back to streets I would recognize.  To warm up, I popped back in to Thorvaldsenbazarinn and bought wool hats as gifts for people.  Eventually, I managed to make it back to the guest house.  I officially survived a blizzard!

I had made plans to meet up with a Travbuddy that evening, but I could not bring myself to get back out into the storm.  I stayed in with the Icelander staying at the guest house, eating hot food and watching Annie Hall.  A dutch writer had also arrived that evening and spent some time chatting with us.  It's been really fun getting to know the people staying at Our House!  The two of them convinced me that I needed to try an Icelandic swimming pool...so I decided that if I couldn't get another tour, I would go swimming!

Reykjavik