Welcome to Winter in Iceland

Reykjavik Travel Blog

Hallgrímskirkja, just around the corner from the guest house

After four airports, three flights and a shuttle, I arrived in Reykjavik!  Before my trip, the question I was asked most often was, "Why Iceland?"  It would seem that my friends and family had no idea what Iceland had to offer in the winter.  I'm not the winter sport type, nor very outdoorsy, so this may also have raised a few questions as well.  I'll come right out and say it - the only reason I was in Iceland in the middle of winter was to see the Northern Lights.  And this was the time I could go.

When I arrived at my guest house, Our House (one of the three best decisions I made with regards to this trip), at 8:30 AM, no one was there so my key was taped to the door with a welcome letter (more on the incredible lack of crime later).

I let myself in and explored the house, feeling a bit like I had broken in to a stranger's home.  In other words, the house was VERY cozy and comfortable and livable! After a quick snack, I promptly fell asleep. I woke up around 1pm and met the owner of Our House, Bedda, one of the most delightful people I've ever met!  She showed me around the guest house, then gave me a LOT of pointers and ideas for where to explore, as well as a map.  I bundled up and headed out to get my first taste of Reykjavik!

First impression - it was COLD.  I had left 50-degree weather back home, and this was very, very cold.  During my stay, Iceland had a wide variety of extreme weather.  I didn't last very long exploring before I had to pop into a coffee shop to warm up.  I wandered around, getting my feel of the place, for a few hours but it was just too cold out, so I returned to the guest house to warm up.

Every day, Bedda wrote on a dry erase board about entertainment and activities occurring that day/evening in Reykjavik.  I was looking forward to seeing an American singer/songwriter that evening, but had a bit of an upset stomach so I stayed in and read on the couch.  My first day was not exactly exciting - more of a travel-recovery-day.

Africancrab says:
Congratulations on being featured!
Posted on: Jan 16, 2012
Hallgrímskirkja, just around the …
Hallgrímskirkja, just around the…
Reykjavik Hotels & Accommodations review
Our House was one of the warmest, most welcoming places I have stayed during my travels. Bedda, the owner, treats you like family and makes sure you … read entire review
photo by: MadeleineGL