Once more unto the breech...

Vinkeveen Travel Blog

To was going to be a long one. Using my portable alarm clock for the first time, I was up before dawn and showered. As dawn rose, I broke camp and walked the kilometer to the road, where I met up with the cabbie who came to drive me back to Caen. It was a quick drive and relatively traffic free due to the early hour.

I boarded the train and was soon bound for... Paris. What could I do, it's the nearest hub city. I arrived there at one train station and the schlepped over to one of the other 196 stations in the city. I decided to rent a locker, as I had several hours to kill, and proceeded to spend 15 minutes in line for security to get into the locker area. Full on metal detector and x-ray machines. Makes the US's post-911 security requirements look a little pale by comparison.

Several hours later, after being approached by at least 100 beggars, my train finally left and I was bound for the Netherlands by way of Belgium.

The ride itself was quite uneventful and I slept through most of it.

I arrived in Amsterdam at around 6PM, and immediately hoped on a commuter train that would take me about 12 Km from the city. I was to be staying at the Lucky Lake Hostel in a recreational park called Vinkeveense Plassen. I cannot speak too highly of this place. The owners are a pair of hostelers themselves who go out of their way to make the experience of people staying at their place pleasant. To begin with, when they found out I was traveling alone, they immediately began to offer me different less expensive solo-traveler options.

Truth be old though, the price they were charging me to begin with was a great deal for any kind of  room. And having just spend 4 nights sleeping on the round, I wanted something with cushions to lie on.

This location was a trailer park, but a really nice one. The trailers were neatly parked in rows, each with a flower boxes overflowing even though it was just May. In the center was a communal tent, where people could just go to hang out. It even had an hour bar hosting a multitude of healthy snacks and a couple of choices for the hard-core junk food lovers.

The day had taken a lot out of me, and it was closing on 7:30PM. There was really no time to get back into Amsterdam, so I decided to just find something local. Following the direction of the hostel owners, I finally reached a little bistro at Paviljoen Eiland Een, but I am not sure if it is still there.. the resto is called 'Lust!', and that wasn't what it was called when I was there. Regardless of what it is called now, I had the most delicious club sandwich in the history of the world. I think the sliced cucumbers, watercress and the so-fresh-it-oinked bacon were the clinchers.

By that time it was getting dark, so I trundled back to my caravan trailer and snuggled off to sleep.

Vinkeveen Hostels review
Camping near Amsterdam
This is a campground type hostel and is not located close to the city center. If you feel the need to be in the city quickly, this place may not be fo… read entire review
Vinkeveen