Get my travel on.

Montreal Travel Blog

When I was young and thought that drinking a lot was cool, I repeatedly joked that I didn't need to go to Europe to fing myself.... I already knew I was lying under a table in a beerhall somewhere in Germany. The idea that you could go somewhere and have a revelation about yourself was ridiculous, and as an adult in his early 20s, I of course knew more than anyone else did.

The desire to go on the trip was caused by of all things a video game. World War II Online, AKA Battlegroud Europe is a MMOG set in WWII that attracts a lot of people who are very pasionate about the topic. As they argued in the chat forums about percieved inaccuracies in the equipments performance, I began to do my own research on the equipment, then the conflict and finally the men themselves who faught in the war. From this stemmed a desire to see where they had been and where the events I had read about occured. Along with one of my friends (who also played the game) I began to plan a trip to Europe.

I'd never traveled before, so I started to research. My main sources of information were a couple of used 2 year old guide books (Rick Steve's Europe through the Backdoor 2003 and Let's Go Europe 2002) along with the Internet for updated info, I began the long slow process of learning everything I needed to learn. I didn't quite absorb it all, but I tried.

Eventually, the flights and the hotels we booked and everything looked golden. And then my friend pulled out of the trip. I was at a turning point. I had to make a choice.

And I chose to travel.