Down

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

welcome to Argentina

Early we leave for La Paz airport. I still don't feel that well, but I'm up and around. The plane takes us first to Santa Cruz, and as soon as I have stepped out of the plane, the grip loosens. Santa Cruz lies at 416 m/asl, while La Paz's ranges from 3100 to 4058 m/asl, and this big jump made my high altitude sickness vanish. Just like that, no more headache, no more pressure in my nose, no more nausea! Amazing!

After a short stopover we continued to Buenos Aires. But first we had to go through border control. We were handed out two forms, one a customs declaration (just like we had in Peru), and one a money (?) declaration. Apparently, we had to register how much money we were taking out of the country. It was a "more than..." question. This was no problem, but the real nuisance came soon.

"La Ventana", the popular restaurant with tango show
After passing security check quickly, we waited really long in a line to get to gate. There were hundreds of passengers, some of them already impatient to catch their flight. The reason was a thorough search of our carry-on luggage. They took out everything, checked every item we had in our bags. And that takes a while. Finally, we got to gate and waited for boarding. The boarding area was a little bit shabby with just one bar and a poor selection of food and drinks. The poverty of the land, or whatever reason it might be, showed in the planes, too. They are old and shabby, and the food is not tasty. But the flight attendents were very nice and attentive.

Buenos Aires airport was very contrary. Buenos Aires city is very contrary. Argentina is very contrary. It's like Europe! As we drove towards the city it felt like being in Europe again. Wide avenues, neat parks, a lot of controlled traffic, and all people white. It took 2 hours to get to our hotel in the city center, two blocks away from Florida street. In the evening we had dinner at one of the most popular places for tango. It's decorated in a 1920s style, with a sense of glamour, I love it! The food is very good, the tango show a little bit overdone (again) and I can hardly keep myself from falling asleep. It was a strenuous day.

welcome to Argentina
La Ventana, the popular restaura…
"La Ventana", the popular restaur…
tango ball room