Planes, Trains, Automo... buses...

Brussels Travel Blog

I had to get upo at the crack of insane o'clock to make my train out of Ieper. I felt so guilty, clattering down the cobblestone streets towards the train station at 4AM with my roller bag. I tried my damnedest to clatter silently and I think I did a pretty good job. The station was surprisingly full. I leveraged all three words of Flemmish that I had vaguely figured out to confirm that I had a ticket for the right train and then sat down to wait. The train arrived on time, and I sat there and read my book until we arrived in Brussels. There, I switched to a train bound for the airport.

Much to my consternation, I was forced to check my roller bag. I wouldn't part with my backpack, as it had my DSLR, video camera and laptop. It was a terrified that they would weigh it.

I was hours early for my flight, and wandered back and forth throughout the airport. I knew I'd been walking about a bit but I felt a lot more tired than I thought I should. I sat down near the gate and relaxed for a bit. After sitting there for about 20 minutes or so, after getting a head rush from standing up to go get watrer, I realised that I was starting to show symptoms of the common cold. Fun times.

We boarded on time, the plane went to where it was supposed to. The post landing was unike any I'd ever experienced though. They opened up the regular boarding door, as well as one of the doors in the back, and we deplaned out both ends. Directly next to the next plane was a bus waiting for us, which left as soon as the ladt passeneger got on. It zipped us along to abother part of the aeroport and dropped us off right next to the carrosel where our luggage was going to be delivered. In less than 5 minutes, it was there and we all went our seperate ways.

I rather quickly found the booth where I could buy transit passses and bought one valid for a few days, and diorections to the express bus stop. The bus went pretty much straight to Alexsanderpltz, which is the transit hub of Berlin. I noticed that it din't stop there, so I stayed on until the end of the line. Walking half a block down the hill from the bus's parking spot, I found the intersection where my hotel was located. Rain avoidance bonus points.

I dried off, took a hot shower, then dried off again. Bundling up and putting on my rain gear, I went out in search of food. I found a cluster of restaurants located at an S-bhan station I could easily transfer to, minimizing my being outside, When I arrived, I found that most of the places were kitted out very romantically or very family oriented which really didn't match my mood. The Kilkenny Irish Pub however suited me just fine. A couple of pints and a steak pie set me right for the night, and I trundled my way back to the hotel for sleepytime.

photo by: Vlindeke