Nous Sommes Departes

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Alas, all good things must come to an end, even in Amsterdam, a city where 3 days feels like over a week as in a sort of time-warp.  The Anti-Manhattan.  Just what two city-lovers need to beat the hustle and bustle - a city full of people (fun and exciting!) but somehow lacking the stress (relaxing!).  A great choice for our first weekend getaway since the honeymoon and after a few stressful months of marriage...ahem...I mean work.  :)

We enjoyed a lazy morning packing up, checking out and eating at a truly exquisite little pancake house with to die for coffee and flap-tastic pancakes and omlettes.  We went halvsies.  How cute.  Then we wandered back to Jordaan to check out the Anne Frank Huis but opted to take a few pictures in front instead of waiting in the hour plus line ouside in the cold rain.  Who wants to be depressed by the Holocaust after such a delightful, relaxing few days anyway?  Not this chica.  Instead, we wandered through the Pulitzer Hotel (an upscale hotel that we'd almost booked in lieu of the Raddy Blu) and ventured in and out of shops to stay dry from the rain.  The Herrod's of Amsterdam - De Bijenkorf (translation: The Bee Hive) - was a timely last stop where I got a new scarf, hat and gloves for 50% off.  Gotta love the post-holiday sales.  How else could I afford to buy anything in Europe!  Sanjeev grabbed a brownie for the trek back to Schipol which we did in record time to catch our short flight to Londres.  Farewell Amsterdam!  What's the opposite of Guttentag anyway?  I didn't quite figure out many Dutch words on this trip...except for Danku Vel and Guttentag.  Thank you and Hello are about the only two words I ever learn in any place we visit that doesn't speak French.  Those two words with a flash of charm work wonders while traveling, we've found.  And surprisingly, there are a lot of places that work quite well with broken bits of Francais.  Ask my husband who affectionately replies "Oui" to everything when we travel, no matter the national language.

The short flight to London hardly prepared us for the 8+ hour flight back to New York...why does it always take longer to get home than to get there?  And I know it's not just cause we're excited about our trip.  I swear that flight over was in the magnitude of 5 or 6 hours.  Not 8.  We successfully retrieved our bags at JFK and were home and asleep by midnight.  Thanks for reading!

photo by: pearcetoyou