Prostitutes and Pie

Amsterdam Travel Blog

We ate leftover stroopwaffels and bottekoek for breakfast, checked out of La Festa and stored our bags with Bjorn so we could get in a few more sights before leaving the city.

We finally had some blue sky (although pretty cold) and walked over to the far side of the Jordaan and had lunch at a brown cafe called te' Smalltje. Brown cafes are typical old Amsterdam--wooden bar and paneling/beams, and the walls and ceiling are brown from all the old smoke (although you're not allowed to smoke in them anymore). Very charming, and this one had food.  I had a fantastic pea soup with ham, and a green salad with meatball. Morgan got a raw beef sausage sandwich--like a beef tartare on a sandwich. Everything was really good.

We walked down to the Red Light District afterwards to go check out some whores.

We got hopelessly lost, and probably were walking circles around the whole area. We finally found the right street (by following the hordes of young British guys). So we got to see some whores (no photos though - the girls in the windows get mightily pissed off), and some really interesting items in the sex shop windows. Some awesome condoms in the condom store...some were nationally-themed...a windmill at the tip of one, and an Eiffel Tower on another.

It was definitely time for apple pie and hot chocolate at this point. Cafe Winkel came highly recommended for apple pie, so we ducked in there and they were sooo right. Delicious apple pie - but the texture is in between pie and cake. Along with the amount of stroopwaffels I've been eating, I'm surprised I haven't fallen into a diabetic coma.
Love this building

After checking out of La Festa and grabbing our bags, we went to catch the number 17 tram back to the Centraal Station. Three number 17s went by the other direction, but none came by our direction. They were supposed to come every 7-10 minutes, so we thought something was fishy. After 25 minutes we grabbed a cab.  During the ride, we passed a street where all the #17s were lined up behind one with flashing lights - obviously out of order and gumming up the works.

We took the taxi directly to the airport. The driver said the meter was going to be 35-45 Euros, but if we went off the meter, it would just be 30. I thought that it might be a scam, yet 30 Euros seemed pretty inexpensive to go to the airport, so we opted for that. We ffound out from guys at the airport that the fare is usually closer to 45, so I guess we chose right. We arrived with plenty of time to check in and get through security.

We're on SleazyJet again...the plane was running late from it's previous destination, but we got on with almost no problem (except the gate agent who made me put my purse inside my bag right before getting on the plane, after it had been okayed by the check-in agent...well, it wouldn't fit, so we stuck it in Morgan's, and then took it out again when we got to our seats...ridiculous).

Centraal Station
Centraal Station
The best apple pie ever
The best apple pie ever
Finally some blue sky...just as we…
Finally some blue sky...just as w…
Amsterdam