Kuranda Village

Cairns Travel Blog

Today we went early on a bus to a rainforest gondola up to 133 meters abouve the ground!  We went up to the Kuranda Village.  There we went into a butterfyl sanctuary where they are the only butterfly sanctuary to be self sufficient in raising and keeping all species of butterfly there without having to buy from breeders.  All the butterflies were landing all over us!  There was a huge one that thought my red pants were a flower and kept coming back to land on me!  He was putting out his feeler and trying to eat my leg, however it just resulted in a very ticklish leg!  Then we popped into an opal shop and bought some beautiful opal jewellry.  We hopped on a short bus to a rainforeststation, where they had an animal sanctuary.  We saw wombats, Koalas, baby koalas, kangaroo, wallabies, one of which still had a joey pooking it's head out of the pouch!  We saw a crocodile named Jack the Ripper he was enormous!  WE pet some kangaroos and headed off to lunch.  After lunch, the four of us headed over and got to get a picture holding an adorable koala bear named Walter.  He had sharp claws!  Then we headed out on a Dukw and army vehicle that can go on land and water.  We saw all kinds of plants including one that stings you with tiny silicon based hairs that can hurt for up to 6 months after an encounter!  Then we got to watch an aboriginal dance show, and learned about didgeridoos, and spear throwing.  Geoff, Kate and I tried our hands at throwing boomerangs!  It was actually easier than I was expecting.  We took a train back to Cairns enjoying beautiful scenery all the way.  Including a bunch of very dramatic cliffs which we were driving accross!  After a quick rest, we headed to town for dinner.  We ate at an Aussie place where we had a hot rock with Kangaroo, Crocodile, Baramunddi(Which is fish), small lobster and regular beef.  We shopped till late at a late night market where Kate did a lot of her shopping for this trip.  I bought a didgeridoo!

photo by: Katie_Kate