Venice

Venice Travel Blog

View from our hotel room

Arriving in Venice we had organised our accomodation in Lido, an island to the south (known for its beach) and not as crowded or toursity as the main part of Venice. It was easy to access by hopping off the train and hopping straight onto a Vaporetti (ferry). We enjoyed a scenic ferry ride before hopping off at our stop smack bang in front of the hotel. Our hotel - Panorama Hotel - was therefore very easy to find and the concierge was very welcoming and most helpful. We got into our room before heading out to dinner armed with recommendations from the concierge. (Note - Lido is quiet on a Wednesday night) We found a great pizzeria had some dinner (great pizza again) walked around - found a cafe for an espresso and some gelati (it's becoming our routine!).

Walking around Venezia

The next day was spent getting lost in Venice, not aiming to complete anything in particular but just enjoy our time walking around the narrow streets, getting lost (literally) and finding ourselves walking past the same place, time and time again :) Found a barber that could give me a haircut - check out the slicker than slick new look! Whilst I was getting the shave down, Kath found some great gift shops where we stocked up on more gifts for the family, and continued to enjoy the walk around the city whilst grazing on pieces of fruit (loving the rasberries, strawberries, blackberries in Europe!).

The last day in Venice we decided to visit Murano to see the glass museum, very interesting and was blown away by the quality of the glass making from 300AD onwards - who would have thought it good be so good back then! (did anyone pickup that pun - c'mon throw me a fricken bone here :))  OK, OK, so we decided that because lunch was so good the day before we would go back to the same place, now remember I said we were lost yesterday - well, we had no hope of finding a little cafe for lunch and found ourselves walking around and always finding our way back into Piazza San Marco very frustrating!

Back to Lido, we stocked up on food and water for our train ride to Roma and boarded our train that would take us to Roma to arrive at 22:30, long ride.

Up on the beach at night
Thankfully the train offered power, giving me the opportunity to play some more C&C - woops, I mean complete some of my peoples ARFs (work) and enjoy the scenery that literally flies by! (Until it got too late that is when it is just dark)

Church in Venezia