London Weekender

London Travel Blog

From the Tate Modern looking at the Millenium Bridge

This weekend we chilled out and did as the locals do, well some of them anyway :) We went to the local markets, Kath caught up with some friends and watched a Shakespeare play, I caught up with an old work colleague, had a dinner inhouse (first in over 2 weeks and it was fantastic!) laid on the couch and watched a DVD - ahhh the serenity!

I awoke on Saturday morning to an SMS from Josie asking that we go over to her place later in the morning because somebody had drunk too much the night before and was feeling slightly sorry themselves, very funny - suited me cos my head was quite sore too :) Another crappy breakfast was had, before we went over to Josie and Caeds place and walked down to Borough Markets. Borough Markets is Londons oldest food market and was a foodies paradise! Walking inside you immediately get to sample the local (and not so local) produce from breads, to cheeses to fruits etc It was so much fun, shame we didn't have a fridge at the hotel nor any cooking facilities! We stayed at the markets, grazed alot, had some lunch and skipped through the rain up to the Tate Modern to look at the Salvador Dali exhibition.

Kath, Josie, me, Caed

As you walk around these exhibitions, the quality of the artwork is sometimes exceptional, othertimes you just think, what was he smoking at the time to paint that?!! Spent several hours walking through the Tate, looked a a very interesting exhibit about city planning and the growth of our cities in the world. Did you know that more than 50% of the world now lives in cities and this number will grow to 75% by 2050? A century ago only 10% of the worlds population lived in cities!

Sunday Kath caught up with her friends Michelle and Ann for some girl time (shopping, chatting etc) before watching a modern day interpretation of Shakespeare. She really enjoyed it, the catching up, the play and seeing her old friends. Whilst she was doing that I was with Katherine walking through Spitalfields markets, very Bohemian full of organic foods, funky clothing.

Criminal Court
Was a great day, spent walking around chatting about this and that, before going back to Balham via Marks and Spencer to pickup some food for dinner. Lounged on the couch, watched the Dog Whisperer (great show I might add) and a DVD before returning to London, the Tube is more interesting of a late Sunday night I tell ya!

the_nicholsons says:
Lol enjoying the tube trips huh?? :)
Posted on: Jul 24, 2007
From the Tate Modern looking at th…
From the Tate Modern looking at t…
too much laughter!