Conquering the Highlands

Fort Augustus Travel Blog

The Highlands

Day one of our tour to the Scottish Highlands.  Our first tour guide drove us all nearly insane within an hour.  He had extremely irritating speech habits, to say the least, and managed to make an Scottish accent sound like a pirate.  Our tour was with the Haggis company, and we had a private bus because we had 32 people.

We stopped by the Braveheart/William Wallace monument and heard the more gory version of his death that Hollywood did not endeavor to depict.

We realized that Hairy Coo isn't an innuendo or euphemism and is actually the cutest cow creature thing I've ever seen.  My school mascot is a Longhorn and I'm totally ready to petition to change it to Hamish the Hairy Coo.

We learned the story of the massacre at Glencoe and realized that Scottish people are crazy violent.

I was very happy to see the Hogwart's Express on its merry way to Hogwarts, only, not really.  But I did see the steam train go over the aquaducts in Glenfinnan.  That pretty much made my day.  It was also pretty ridiculous to see almost 30 college students standing on a rock, waiting for the right moment when the train would pass.  Yeah, I'm a nerd.

A wonderful first day.