12 Hours in New York

New York Travel Blog

Empire State Building

So let me start off by saying that I have never been to New York before this.  The biggest city I had ever been to was Chicago and that was a long time ago, so I wasn't really sure what to expect from New York.  I have heard a lot about the craziness and seen New York in tons of movies and TV shows, so I was very excited to go, even if it was only for 12 hours.  Why only 12 hours?  Well I went to New York on a bus trip with my mom, aunt, and cousin.  The trip cost about $100 and we left Canton, Ohio at 10:30 pm on Friday, June 29.  We were expected to sleep on the bus while we traveled to New York overnight, "expected" being the key word.  I sat in the back of the bus and it was bumpy, noisy, and uncomfortable, but atleast it got me to New York and back!  I didn't sleep for more than two hours in a row (I'm sure no one else did either) so when we got to New York at 8 am the next morning, everyone was exhausted.

Mom and I.
  I was pretty tired and had stitches in my right leg, so I walked with a slight limp but didn't let that or my lack of sleep stop me from having an amazing time in NYC.  I came with a list of stuff I wanted to do and see, but with only 12 hours and three other people that wanted to do and see other stuff, I didn't get to see the World Trade Center Site/Memorial, the top of the Empire State building, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, or the Statue of Liberty.  I guess that's also a good thing though because it gives me a reason to go back!  After all, you should always leave something to do on a return trip!  Okay so the bus dropped us off infront of Macy's on 34th St. at 8 am and we had the day to do what we wanted.
  We just had to be back infront of Macy's at 8 pm that evening for the bus to pick us up.

Well my aunt and cousin really wanted to go to Chinatown first (to spend all their money), so we hit the subway and bought one day Metrocard passes for $7 a piece.   We got off at Canal St. and started off in the direction we thought was Chinatown, only to realize (after 20 minutes of walking) that we were going in the wrong direction!  So once we finally got there, the first thing we did was buy purses, wallets, and tons of jewelry.  Before we were there, I didn't think I was really going to shop, I just wanted to see the sights in NYC.  I now realize that Chinatown and shopping is part of NYC.

I guess this is how they park cars in New York.
  It's as important as seeing the Statue of Liberty or Empire State Building.  It's part of the culture and I ended up having a blast experiencing it.  I also came away with some awesome jewelry and a really cute purse!

After Chinatown we rode the subway and did a lot of walking in our pursuit of Times Square.  On the way we passed Madame Tussaud's and ate lunch at a really cute little restaurant somewhere near Madame Tussaud's called Pax.  It was neat, clean, had a great atmosphere, and seemed healthy.  They had a vast selection of sandwiches, pizza, wraps, salads, drinks, side items, and desserts.  The sandwich I got was called "Thanksgiving" and it was AMAZING.  It was on a pumpkin seed-based bread with turkey and a cranberry spread.

Times Square
  I also tried a bit of a Reese's bar and it was beyond rich and tasted like a little piece of heaven.  The only weird part about this restaurant was their bathrooms, which didn't match the fun, easy-going atmosphere at all.  They were super dark with black walls and kind of dirty.  Plus there was only one, but overall, Pax was a really great little find in NYC.

After lunch we finally made our way to Times Square.  That was probably the most stunning part of the trip for me.  I stood in the little median between all the traffic, people, and billboards, and was just overwhelmed with the fact that I was actually there.  It was really cool seeing ABC studios (I'm a big fan of Good Morning America) and everything in Times Square.

There were also some cops there in SWAT gear and holding guns, which was a little odd.  I wondered aloud why they were there and a woman walking by mentioned the terrorist attacks in London the day before.  I then took a ton of pictures but none of the SWAT guys because I wasn't sure if I was allowed and didn't really want to get reprimanded if I wasn't!

The rest of the day was pretty crazy.  We went in St. Patrick's Cathedral and it was gorgeous but I was shocked by how much it looked like the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.  I felt like it was the same building!  Riding the subway ended up being an experience in itself.  Everyone kept their heads down and listened to music!  I gather that New Yorkers LOVE their ipods.

I saw people shopping, walking, running, riding the subway, and eating all listening to their headphones!  Everyone kept to themselves on the subway too.  Not that I wanted everyone to talk, but I'm a friendly midwesterner and I kept looking around and smiling at people who just stared back at me.

Later in the day, we took a carriage ride through Central Park.  That was really a great way to see the park.  Our "driver" told us a lot about the different areas and it was fairly cheap too- only $34 for a half hour ride.

Then we made it to the second floor of the Empire State building.  That's where you buy the tickets for the top and when we found out they cost $18, we decided just to shop instead.

ABC
  But I think they punish people who change their minds because we had to wait 20 minutes in line to go down to the first floor on the one elevator that they had!  Then we went shopping, ate dinner at a little cafe, and left on the bus at 8.

New York was an amazing city.  It was like nothing I had ever seen before and the large scale of everything is unbelievable.  It definately wore me out and I shouldn't have worn flip-flops because my feet were black by the end of the day, but it was so much fun and I can't wait to go back!

frankcanfly says:
You really made the most of your time! Did you get to eat? or breathe?
Posted on: Aug 01, 2007
pinchora says:
that's crazy you only got to go for 12 hours!!! Man...NYC is such a cool place to go that every time I go I find something new to do! You have to go back again!
Posted on: Jul 25, 2007
Mom and I.
I guess this is how they park cars…
I guess this is how they park car…
My favorite store