Drive to Lima, Bus to Ica

Lima Travel Blog

Not a very exciting day, just driving through to Lima and finding our way to the bus. The road is pretty good – this is the same Panamerican highway that we were on in Puerto Varas in Chile.

The way through Lima was surprisingly painless. We followed the signs through an industrial, port area and arrived safely at the airport. The only bit of entertainment was actually when we got stopped by a policeman. I had just overtaken a string of trucks and got pulled over by one of the cops that they have stationed at the beginning/end of every town (it seems). He checked the papers and sent us on our way, but not before telling me to slow down and look out as the road was dangerous – I think that was what he said, it was in Spanish. But officer, I was only doing 90 in a 60 zone….The real reason was that he saw me using my indicator.

Handing back a slightly battered little car was not as much fun. They are sending it to their central office to get it checked out. Seems as if denting both the front rims and the front bumper, and bursting a tyre are not high on their list of positive indicators. Oh well.

We arrived safely at our hostel (Hostal Rocha) in Haucachina to a welcoming wood fire at the outside bar area next to the pool. And people – yay. We are staying in Haucachina rather than Ica (which is about 10km away) as it is where the dunes are and we are mainly here for sandboarding. Nice spot so far.

Lima