Walking Around Top and Confused

Mostar Travel Blog

cats gathering together

Originally, I planned to leave town first thing in the morning. But there were some sights that I wanted to see. I left my backpack in the hostel, and headed out. I stopped by a grocery store to buy some things to eat, then headed to Old Town to eat there.

I was at a spot, where I could see the river and Old Bridge. And a bunch of cats came and gathered together, passing each other without incident. When I finished, I walked to the mosque, and came across a little girl, who wanted my bag full of trash. I gave it to her, and entered the courtyard of the Koski Mehmed-Pasha Mosque (try pronouncing that). The fountain was running, but the mosque was still closed. I asked the guy from the nearby shop when it would open, and his response was "when my friend gets here."

I left, and came across the same little girl, begging for money.

Karagoz Bey Mosque
I just ignored her, and to be honest, I really wanted to smack her, as she should really be in school. I did see her go into a restaurant, only to get chased out by one of the owners. It's not cute when kids beg, as I try to avoid them like the plague.

I stopped by a travel agency, to ask about the hours of the museums. The woman working there, told me that it is never clear or consistent in the off-season, and said that I should just show up one hour later than the posted time. She also said, that's just how things are in Bosnia. Okay! I left and went to the Turkish House, but it was not open.

So I went to the nearby Karadozbeg Mosque, which was open. Paid admission, and looked around. The first time I have entered a mosque. More about it in the review here.
view of Mostar
After seeing the mosque, I went up in the minaret.

Going up the narrow, tight, and sometimes dark stairs, I can't see how 2-way traffic could happen here. And the steps are very uneven and steeper than most towers that I've been to, in Europe. But the payoff is well-worth effort, for nice views of Mostar and the surrounding area. And much to my surprise, the Swiss guy who stayed at the same hostel and room as me, also came up.

Seeing the multiple mosques and minarets, makes it feel like I'm in a Turkish city. Mostar had been under Ottoman rule for centuries, with people converting to Islam during that time, giving that Muslim feel that it has to this day. Also, I could see the war-damaged buildings that are still around.
view of Mostar
Just depressing to see, and a shame that there is not enough money to repair them, from what I'm told.

I went back down, and went with the guy, walking around the mosque, seeing the nearby cemetery. Then walked around town, looking for the Clock Tower, listed in the list of attractions that he had. Along the way, we walked through the Muslim Cemetery, and checked on the Museum of Herzegovina. I find out from the guy there, that the museum is NOT open at all. Well, if that was the case, then how about posting a sign saying so?

Moving on, we looked for the Clock Tower, but had no luck. After a while, we gace up after realizing we wasted too much time looking for it. We went to another Turkish House, but it was closed during the offseason. At least, they had a sign saying so.

We went back to the main street, where we parted ways.
Turkish House
It was fun meeting and hanging out with him, making my trip to Mostar more memorable. I went back to the first Turkish House, which was the Biscevic Turkish House. It was one last check, and it was... open! I went in, and looked around. More about it in the review
here.

After seeing the Turkish House, I went to the same restaurant, getting a cevapcici again. While it was good and filling, the raw onions gave me bad breath. And I would forget to brush my teeth, as I did not have much time left.

I walked back to the hostel, to pick up my backpack, and return the key, to Nina (owner of the hostel). Then walked out of the hostel, and down the stairs. But then, Nina offered me a ride to the bus station, which I accepted. I would ride with Nina's mother, in an old car. She was interesting to talk to, as she spoke pretty good English. And it turned out to be a good move for the ride, as I barely had enough time to catch my bus.

I got there, and bought my bus ticket. Instead of 2:00 PM departure, it was actually 1:50 PM. I got on the bus, with only 7 minutes to spare. The bus left on time, leaving Mostar, and heading to Sarajevo.

1 cat
1 cat
2 cats
2 cats
fountain at Koski Mehmed Pasha Mos…
fountain at Koski Mehmed Pasha Mo…
graveyard at mosque
view from Turkish House
view from Turkish House
Mostar Sights & Attractions review
Worth going to the top
There are 2 mosques to visit in Mostar, and one of them is Karadjoz Beg Mosque (sometimes written as Karadozbeg Bey or Karadzozbeg Bey, as I'm not sur… read entire review
Mostar Sights & Attractions review
Nice to check out
One of three Turkish Houses located in Mostar, the Biscevic Turkish House is sometimes referred to as just the Turkish House, or Biscevic House. Not s… read entire review
Mostar