Sightseeing Day Wiped Out

Croatia Travel Blog

view from rest stop

I arrived into Frankfurt, Germany, and originally had a 3-hour layover. But I saw that there was an earlier flight to Zagreb, but only had 30 minutes to catch it. So I went through security, which was faster than the last time I was there. Then to the gate, and checked to see if I could get on the earlier flight. And I was able to, getting on the Croatia Air flight.

I got on the plane, which took off for Croatia. As it approached Zagreb, I learned that the plane would be diverted to Split instead, due to a strike at the Zagreb Airport. Did that mean they decided to strike at that moment? Just seemed kind of sudden. The plane landed in Split, I received a "Transit Boarding Pass", and had to go through immigration.

mountains
After that, I was not sure what to do next.

I went to the information desk, and kept being told that shuttles are being arranged to get people to get where they need to get. The only question was when. I wanted to go out to the city center, but the info desk kept saying that it would not be a good idea. Very annoying!

I walked around and waited, until a blonde lady came, who was an agent for Croatia Airlines. First, she explained the situation in Croatian, then in English. Have to admit, I was impressed by the fact that she was answering questions in both languages, switching between the two without much of a struggle.

The situation with the strike in Zagreb led to a couple options... a shuttle bus to Zagreb, or to Dubrovnik.
view from rest stop
I chose the bus to Dubrovnik since that was where I planned to be that night. And no point to head to Zagreb, since who knows when the strike would end. Either way, my sightseeing day was wiped out, as I originally planned to see Zagreb, then return to the airport, and fly to Dubrovnik. But it was still a good thing that I took the earlier flight to Zagreb, otherwise I would be stuck in Frankfurt for who-knows how long.

The shuttle was more like a van, but comfortable. Finally left the Split Airport, as I'm told the journey would be over 4 hours. And the guy in front of me, said it was very scenic, which is true, seeing the water and mountains. The only sightseeing of the day.

I fell asleep along the way, and when I woke up, we were off the highway, and onto mountain roads. The distance was not long, but a lot of curves along the mountains.
view of town and mountains
And scary, as the driver went fast on these roads. I did worry that we could fly off the cliff, but can see it was not bothering anyone else.

We made a rest stop, and there was a terrace to oversee the area, like the mountains and the village below. Very nice to see. I ate some snacks and drank water, that were included on the bus. And talked with fellow passengers, getting to know them a little bit.

We left, and it got very dark soon. I dozed off again, and woke up when arriving at Dubrovnik. I got off, and went to the stop to take public transportation to get to the Lapad area. I got on one of the buses, and got off. There, I had to hear a boy making a racial mocking noise, and wanted to punch the kid. Just had to move along, and stopped inside a store to ask for directions. After that, I went to the other side of the street, and hopped on the bus to Lapad.
rest area

I was being stared at by 2 boys, who probably never saw an Asian, but they kept pointing and laughing. Have to admit, it's reminding me of childhood, and not in a good way. But then, a woman noticed I was looking around and a piece of paper, offered to help me with directions. We got off the bus at the same time, and she showed me part of the way, and told me the rest. I was able to process the info, and found the place, Vila Micika. Turned out that woman does have rooms to rent, but only during the busy season.

I arrived at the Vila Micika, and checked in. More about the place itself in the review here. The guy on staff was very nice, and let me use the internet in his office. I went to the nearby Tommy supermarket, to buy some food as my dinner, and just spent the rest of the night, relaxing and planning the next day.