Seeing Old Town

Dubrovnik Travel Blog

Stradun (main street)

The day started with getting breakfast from the nearby supermarket, and taking care of business along the way. After getting ready, I went to the main bus station, where I would buy a ticket to my next destination. My name was printed on it, but my last name was printed incorrectly. May not be a big deal, though.

I hopped on the next bus to Old Town. Once there, I went through Pile Gate, and started looking around Old Town on the main street. Along the way, while going through the gate, there was a town map, showing where the bombs dropped and the buildings that were burned, during the war, locally known as the Homeland War.

Back at one end of the main street, known as Stradun, where the Big Fountain was located. Then I went inside the church, which was part of the Franciscan Monastery Museum.

Bell Tower
There was a service in progress, so I was only able to get a peek. As soon as I exited the place, the service just ended and people came out.

I took a stroll on the Stradun, where there were places to eat, shop, and just hang out and people-watch. A fun place, even if it's crowded with tourists. I walked towards the other end, which is not far at all, to where Orlando's Column was. This was where important news was announced to the town, back when Dubrovnik turned their back on Venice. It was built in 1417.

I was standing on Luza Square, where the column was located. Then went inside Sponza Palace, built during Dubrovnik's Golden Age and now houses the Memorial Room of Dubrovnik Defenders. I went in that room, which was exactly as the name indicated.
telling the time
There were photos of the men who died while defending the town in 1991-92, along with a TV that showed the damage to the town. It was very moving, and scary as well.

Just outside the room, was a courtyard. Then I stepped outside, looking at the Bell Tower. This one was unique with 3 different parts, that were the following: (1) having a clock with many hands, (2) a sphere that told what was the phase of the moon and (3) an old digital clock that tells time every 5 minutes, with the hour in Roman numerals. Hard to describe in words, but it is very unusual to see that it came from centuries ago.

Looking around at places near the Bell Tower, I went to the nearby church, St. Blaise's Church, named after the saint of Dubrovnik. I sat down for a little bit, looking at the altar and chapels. Then exited, looking at my list of sites that were open and I wanted to see.
me in Old Town

I went to the Serbian Orthodox Church, which was located further back, and off the main street. A very big place in tight space. I entered, and looked around. Afterwards, I left and to Net Cafe. Took care of some business on the computer, and made sure of other things. Net Cafe was located on restaurant row, about one street over from Stradun. When I was done, I continued on that street, then up some stairs, towards another Wall gate, the Buza Gate.

Getting there, I saw the map of where the bombs were dropped. Then went through the Buza Gate, to the spot where the cable car station was. I bought a ticket and waited until the cable car arrived. Then I hopped on, and headed to the top of Mount Srd. It was scary, being in the air like that. But I made it there, and walked around to get a bird eye's view of the town.
view of Old Town
And here is the cable ride review here.

Passing by the outdoor cafe, I walked to the huge cross and flag of Croatia. A bit nervous, being near the edge of the cliff, although it was not a sharp drop. But the view of Dubrovnik and the sea were really nice, seeing the sea of orange in Old Town. The problem for me, was taking photos against sunlight, as I could not see what I was zooming in on. Not sure how to solve this problem.

After a while, I went to the nearby fortress, which served as a key strategic point for the Croatians during the war. I tried to walk around the fortress, there was a sign that said "Enter At Own Risk", which could mean, there could still be land mines. I decided not to go any further. The damage can still be seen, and the fortress now houses a museum, called Dubrovnik During the Homeland War.
fortress
More about the museum in a review here, but I was surprised to see some kids there.

After seeing the museum, I rode back down on the cable car. Then walked back to Old Town, and headed to the Rupe Granary and Ethnographic Museum. It was not easy to find, as I had to go up some steep steps and got very sweaty. I did find it, and had less than an hour to see the place. More about the museum in a review here, but I have to say, I was able to see everything with still some time to spare. That alone, should tell you how much there is to see in this place.

Leaving the museum, I walked to the Dominican Monastery Museum. Also not easy to find, as it got confusing on the map.
Old Port
Walked back and forth until I finally found it. I went inside, and it was similar as the other Monastery Museum, with a cloister and a courtyard. More about it in the review here.

Afterwards, I went to Luza Square, where I saw a bunch of kids playing around. And I got to hear some Croatian, as hearing the local language from kids is a delight, especially if they talk to each other. Watched for a little while, then stopped by the Net Cafe again. Afterwards, to the Franciscan Monastery, which was still open, and one of the few places where photos were allowed. Looked around for a bit, then back on the main street.

Walked around for the last time, as it got crowded. Then went to some fast food place, eating some American food as my dinner. Very satisfying. After that, I left Old Town, and went back to the hostel.

Called it a day really early, as I tend not to do much at night. I can see why this is the off-season.

Vioweil says:
Great photos, thanks for sharing them!
Posted on: Dec 11, 2011
Sponza Palace
Sponza Palace
courtyard in Sponza Palace
courtyard in Sponza Palace
entrance to Memorial Room of Dubro…
entrance to Memorial Room of Dubr…
Memorial Room of Dubrovnik Defende…
Memorial Room of Dubrovnik Defend…
Onofrios Little Fountain
surrounding mountains
surrounding mountains
view from Mount Srd
view from Mount Srd
cross and Croatian flag on Mount S…
cross and Croatian flag on Mount …
on Mount Srd
Wall Gate
Bell Tower at night
Bell Tower at night
Dubrovnik Sights & Attractions review
Worth a visit, mainly for the paintings
Located in the Old Town area of Dubrovnik, the Dominican Monastery Museum is another monastery that worth a look if time permits, and if you can find … read entire review
Dubrovnik Sights & Attractions review
Worth it for views alone
For a nice bird’s eye view of Dubrovnik, a trip to the top of Mount Srd is the way to go, and very well worth the time. There are 3 ways to get t… read entire review
Dubrovnik Sights & Attractions review
Not bad, though hard to find and underwhelming
Located off the Stradun in Old Town, the Rupe Granary and Ethnographic Museum takes a look at rural life in Croatia. Not easy to find, as you will … read entire review
Dubrovnik Sights & Attractions review
Worth the time and interesting, even if biased
Located in an old fortress near the cable car station, at the top of Mount Srd, is a museum called the Dubrovnik During the Homeland War 1991-1995. … read entire review
Dubrovnik