Going Around in the Rain

Sarajevo Travel Blog

Sarajevo (seen from top of hill)

I was awakened when the Japanese guy made noise when he was moving his things around, as he was checking out. I tried to go back to sleep. When I got out of bed, I started packing up myself.

I went out early, as the weather was still not good, but not raining at the moment. I did stop by a pharmacy, as I had a sore throat. I got a syrup for it, as I hoped to prevent a cold coming onto me. Then walked around Old Town, just as it was opening up. I went through the courtyard of the mosque, seeing only the fountain, as the building was still closed. Then passed by some ruins.

I stopped by one hotel, then went to another when the first one had a long line, asking where to get a panoramic views of the city. In the 2nd hotel, the lady at reception, got someone to accompany me to the roof.

Old Town
I did not expect this at all, as I thought I would be given the location of a place. So I went with the guy, riding the elevator to the top.

At the top, I was able to get nice views of Sarajevo. I could see a bunch of mosques, and old buildings around the city. Just nice to look at, and for free. But I can imagine it was not fun for the guy, waiting in the cold weather in a uniform. After looking around, I went back down with him, then left the hotel.

I walked by the ruins, which date back to the Middle Ages. Then walked through a shopping mall, and to the street with tram lines, by the synagogue. Walking on that street, I passed by the Cathedral of Jesus' Sacred Heart.

Then came across the Markale Marketplace, the site of 2 massacres during the war.
view of Sarajevo - 1
The 2nd one was the one that prompted NATO to order airstrikes against Serb forces, leading to the end of the war. Now, it's an open air market. I continued on, passing the by the Eternal Flame, a memorial for those that died in World War II. Then to a McDonald's, the first I've seen on this trip. I went inside to eat there, then back out, contiuning on.

I came upon the Children's Memorial, which I read about in a TBer's blog a year ago, and had to see for myself. There was a green sculpture in a fountain, and nearby are the rolls with the names of the children killed during the Sarajevo Siege from 1992 to 1996. Just seeing the dates and ages of the kids, was really depressing, and very hard to believe that such evil exists in the world, even in recent times.

I went back to the hostel, to get my backpack, and say goodbye to a few people.
view of Sarajevo - 2
Then went to the reception to check out and get my deposit back. After that, I went to the tourist center, to ask how to get to the airport by public transportation. Turned out, there was no direct way to get there except by taxi, which I was not willing to take. Plus I was running low on KM.

I left, and walked around Old Town for a bit. Then got some lunch, and went to the internet cafe, to take care of some business. Next, to the Latin Bridge, where I would hop on the trolley, taking me towards the airport. I had to stand the whole time, and kept looking at my map, as I was a little anxious of how long it may take to get there.

There was a teen girl, who offered help as she noticed me looking at my map. And she spoke fluent English, as she was heading the same area.
rolls of names at Children's Memorial
When the trolley got to the stop, we got off, and the girl told a man who was heading towards the airport, to show me the way. I followed the man, walking through a residential neighborhood. Probably not a good idea, as I was dealing with a stranger who spoke no English. When getting towards the busy street, he pointed the way I should go, and we parted ways.

I walked to the airport, having a little trouble getting there, as there was no sidewalk to walk on. Went one way, then another, and got to the airport. Once inside, I was relieved that I made it, and checked in, with enough time. Then went through security, and to my gate. I did donate the rest of my KM in the box.

I slept while waiting, and woke up when it was boarding time. Got on the plane, and had the row to myself. The plane took off, leaving Bosnia-Herzegovina, and heading to Slovenia.

walterman9999 says:
Well written.
Walter, you really get around in this world; good for you!
Posted on: Apr 17, 2018
view of Sarajevo - 2
rolls of names at Childrens Memor…
rolls of names at Children's Memo…
Emperors Mosque
World War II Eternal Flame
World War II Eternal Flame
fountain at Childrens Memorial
fountain at Children's Memorial
names of children killed during th…
names of children killed during t…
River Miljacka