Long Layover Starting Trip

Toronto Travel Blog

poutine

The trip to the Balkans has finally happened, after thinking and reading about it for some time, as it is not cheap to get there. And visiting in late November, I did worry about rain. I will be visiting Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Slovenia.

Leaving home, I took the train to the Philly airport. Even though I was running a little late, I was still taking my time, as I tried not to panic. And it did not help that the trains were running behind schedule. When arriving at the airport, I got off at the wrong terminal, as one of the conductors told me the wrong terminal to get off at. I would find out it was another one, which was farther out.

When I got to the right one, I learned the flight had been delayed by 30 minutes. Strangely enough, it was a blessing in disguise, as it gave me more time to check-in and go through security. Then just waited at the gate, until it was time to board, heading to Toronto.

This would be the 3rd time I've been to the Toronto airport, and would have a 6-hour layover. I really wanted to go to downtown, but decided it was not worth the risk, as I would be driving myself crazy when heading back. Besides, what happened earlier back in Philly, is enough reason not to head into downtown.

I just waited around, trying to sleep, and did eat a poutine. I can remember eating this only once, back when I visited Montreal in 2000. A poutine was french fries with cheese and gravy. It was so good.

I stayed around, doing whatever to bypass the time. Tried to sleep, but those armrests that won't move, made that difficult. Walked back and forth, and sat at the food court table, to do some things. Basically, not much to do.

Went back to the gate, with one hour to go until takeoff, and can see it will be a full flight. I got on and had a window seat, and had to sit next to someone, who had no concept of boundaries when it came to leg room. And very stubborn to even get up, when I needed more space to look for my glasses, which I dropped.

The flight took off, leaving Toronto, and heading to Frankfurt, Germany.

Vikram says:
I've never eaten a poutine before.
Posted on: Apr 26, 2012
WalterC says:
Thanks everyone!
Posted on: Dec 22, 2011
brettjayhawk says:
Congrats on the featured blog!
Posted on: Dec 22, 2011