Isla Mujeres Travel Blog

I took my 4 open water certification dives on Thursday and Friday. Just awesome! Breathing normally underwater took a little getting used to. I definitely suck air - I need a lot on land, it's worse underwater! : D I met a bunch of cool divers going out on the same boat as myself and the one other student. Actually, divers seem generally to be pretty cool people. I guess you have to be kinda mellow if you're willing to strap a tank to your back and drop 50 or 100 feet below the surface! I got some great advice from Jana, who was training for her dive instructor certification: you can get into all the technical aspects of diving if you're into that, or you can just "swim with fishes." Sounds like a plan!

We dove Pailas Reef, Atlantis Reef and Punta Sur. I had taken my classroom and pool sessions only a couple of weeks before heading to Mexico, so the skills were pretty fresh in my head. I still needed a little prompting for some, but my instructor assured me that I was doing well, and further that he wasn't just saying that to make me feel better! :-) The wildlife was really neat. Damselfish, lots of trunk fish, a nurse shark, several barracudas. And a tortuga! I love turtles. One swam directly under me, so close I could have touched it. Awesome!
Restaurent el Sombrero de Gomar